Oliver

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
how could i raise my ph cuz it been going to low. its 7.4 now but last week its was at 7.8 and it slowly been droping. tested my water and got these results also some of my corals have been closed and havent opend for 2 days now. i think it could be the heat cuz it been giving a bad smell and ever since then my ph has droped before it was 8.1 but has slowly been droping to 7.4.
ph 7.4
alk 11
nitrate 0
mitrite 0
mag 1140
cal 425
salinity 1.025
temp 76

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
What kind of test kit are you using and have an Alk reading of 11?

You mention heat, what heat and why do you think it is causing an issue.

The best way to raise your PH is through water changes. Any of the chemical methods raise it too fast and are often deadly for fish. Aside from that, many chemical methods raise it for a short period of time and if the reason for it being low is not rectified, then it drops again quickly (often within 24 hours) and that impacts the stability of the tank greatly.

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
are you using a cal reactor?
can you tell us alittle bit more about your tank as well what have you done with the tank in the last few days

Oliver

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
i am using salifert test kits and yea my alk is 11. i think its the heat cuz ever since the heat broke its been giving of this bad smell and ever since then my ph has droped slowly

Oliver

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
no i dont have a cal reactor also i have not been doing anything different to my system i have been doing water changes every week and i have a 72 bowl front, 2 175 mh, a sump/fuge, phosphate reactor, 70 pounds of lr 3"-4" sand bed, zoas some sps and a toadstool dont have any fish yet and the tank has been set up for like 3 months i also use rodi water.

Oliver

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
i made fresh salt water and it was 8.1 then i let it sit with a power head and a heater. today i tested the water i made yeasterday and now it says 7.4 and its been for 6 hours. anyone know what i can do to higher the ph?

Oliver

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
i think i found the problem i havent opend the windows for a while cuz its to cold but i have had the windows for two days now and the ph has gone up to 8.0. i still kinda think its the heat we have cuz it gives off these bad smell i think is a carbon dioxide smell or something like that and thats maybe why my ph droped anyways thanks for the help.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: