Rating - 100%
9   0   0
magnesium is very improtant thats something that must be tested on a regular basis as well as calcium,phosphates,and nitrates. If your using a good salt those should be replenished when you do a water change. magnesium should be between 1350-1400ppm

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
i am using instant ocean reef crystals and my nitrate levels stay pretty low so i only do a change of 10 gallons every 2 weeks. should i do more then that because i really hate going through salt buckets so fast.

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
Yes mag is very important . Mag keeps in line your cal and alk if mag is low cal and alk wont be stable . Whats your dkh at and what do you dose ?. Your best bet is to use ESV salt and you well never have to worry about mag again

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
my dkh is 10 and i dont dose anything because my cal is already above 500ppm and im just waiting for the coral to absorb it because i have never had to add caclium it just gets that high from the reef crystals salt.

DJYoshi

A Newbie to the Reef Game
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
my dkh is 10 and i dont dose anything because my cal is already above 500ppm and im just waiting for the coral to absorb it because i have never had to add caclium it just gets that high from the reef crystals salt.

probably b/c you haven't started using magnesium. Magnesium is used for calcification and to help stabilize carbonate
go get a test kit for Magnesium
test, and if you're under 1350, then dose according to the ppm calculator to bring it up to the desired level. you'll quickly see the calcium being used up

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: