langmister

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
My name is Brian Lang and I am co-teaching a new course this year that uses student-built camera-mounted underwater robots to explore our local Long Island waterways. We want to set up a tank in our classroom that will be able to support life that we collect from our expeditions to bays, the sound, and the ocean. I am completely inexperienced with marine tanks and am looking for advice regarding filtration options, water purification, and temperature monitoring. I own a few tanks of various volumes, but am confused about where to go from here.

Thanks!!

Brian

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Long island water ways huh.... How big of a tank are you looking to set up? Will help with knowing what type of equipment you will need.

Someone on the site just set up a tank at a school on SI and I think he was able to get a lot of donations from companies. Maybe he can share his secrets on that.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have experience with exactly what you plan to do. I am also a teacher and I run a LFS so I know what you need. The only thing I need to know is how big of a tank do you want to set up? The size of the tank will limit you to what you can put in it. As for filtration any good quality canister (appropriately sized) will work or even better a wet-dry, but you will want to cycle the tank before you put in many/any fish. If you give me more detail on what you want to do I will be happy to help.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
That's the best thing i'v heard all day, Brian. Have a 72 gallon bow front, my current tank, that i'm willing to donate and transport. If your willing to wait a month or two for my new 220gal to cycle. Also have used but working fluval fx5, i think, canister filter. Probably a couple of lights to chose from as well.
I do tank maintenance, and specialize in custom builds and sump designs. Have been doing all types of home improvements, with kitchens and bathrooms being my favs, pretty much my whole life. So can help with plumbing, and electric too.
Don't know how big, involved, or long lasting this tank will be. But if it's going to be around for a while, and full of livestock, a canister filter alone would not be a wise choice for a low maintenance tank.
Just so i'm clear i would like to help for free.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
There's a lot of cool stuff to be found around here. Including Megalodon teeth. Amazing what will grow from just a scoop of sand taken at the right time of year, right up near the water during low tide.

Oh, might want to post this over on the general forum for more exposure.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: