JHOV2324

Love da Reef-er
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
bob lets not make paul feel older than he wants too, I did say before i understand the importance of water changes...but I still havent seen any info on the recommended additions that can be made to my tank to make it better...just so i don't get flamed and for my fishy's health i will do a water change this weekend...it is easter so they deserve a treat...:bunny:

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Denitrifier that was my recomendation it works for me.:Hydrogen: I love that Paul has so many years in and I'm not trying to make him feel old. I admire his dedication and hope I can some day join a 5 decade club. Happy Easter to all and Happy reefing.

Last edited:

ccr

Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will enter my vote on the side of water changes. I have a 1-year-old, 30 gallon tank with only live rock and sand plus a 8ish gallon CPR HOB refugium with love rock, 6" mud, chaetomorpha and rock rubble. Fish and coral will be coming later this year.

6 months ago, I had zero nitrates. I then went through 3 months with no water changes and no chaetomorpha harvesting (poor husbandry). My nitrates shot up to 10+ and I had an aptasia bloom. It took 3 months of water changes. chaetomorpha harvesting, joe's juice and peppermint shrimp. I am back to zero nitrates and no aptasia.

My conclusion - no water changes hurt me, even in a tank that was not fed. Restarting water changes returned my tank to a happier state.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
JHOV2324, There is really no recommended additions or dosages anyone can determine. As I said, all of the elements in a tank are depleted by skimming. All the elements should be added to compensate for that. I don't know of an additive that adds all of the depleted elements except either artificial salt mixes or better yet NSW. You can add the more common ones like molybednum, iodine, iron, etc but the elements in seawater do not really exist as them selves. (That even confused me,) but for an example if you take real seawater and dry it, then add fresh water to it, it would make a very bad substitute for seawater and it may not even support life. Some of the elements in seawater change depending on what else in in the mix. Therefore if you add too much of something, it may deplete something else. That is why it took so many years to come up with a good A SW recipe. You really should add all of the elements at once in the proper proportions.
Have a great day.
Paul

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: