Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
so today i was getting everything ready to upgrade from my 44 reef to a 90. In this proces i had to take down a computer and a desk. under a portion of the desk, about 10 inches by 2 feet was a piece of wood and the bottom of the piece of wood was covered in black mold as well as the carpet underneath it. before i set up the tank tomorrow i want to know the best way to clean and get rid of the mold problem. HELP Please!!!

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
bleach the area as stated above fan and few hours and u should be fine just make sure the area before u put the carpet back and the carpet is dry also... mold need moisture and darkness to grow

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
There is a product I used called Trifectant. Trifectant is an excellent disinfectant product used by veterinary hospitals, shelters, boarding facilities, kennels, catteries, and aviaries. (Do a google search to learn more)

If you need some, send me a PM, I recently opened a package of powder to treat mold which was found when they opened up my bathroom ceiling. I can arrange to mix some up for you, you would just have to bring a spray bottle.

Alfred

bleach was the first thing to come to mind, but the carpet is red and bleach would make it not so red any more

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Master Shake, do you know what caused the mold in the first place?
Treating the exhisting mold is of course important, but you also need to stop it's source. You will also need to treat the padding under the carpet.

I would use the product that Alfredo has recommended.;)

BTW, Welcome back Alfredo!!!!!:hug: Good to have you back.:)

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, bleach is not effective against mold. It will feed the mold spores and while you won't be able to see it when you wipe the mold off, it will reappear with a vengeance. The chemistry doesn't work!

Find a janitorial/carpet cleaning supply house in your area and purchase a quat cleaner or a mildicide. I like interlink products personally. Quat cleaners won't stain or discolor anything and will kill the mold spores.

Also, do NOT use a fan unless you set up a containment area and use air scrubbers. In other words 'don't try this at home' with regard to fans.

Last edited:

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
This is not true. Bleach does an excellent job at killing mold on the surface, the problem is that mold has "roots" and it does not do a good job of killing mold under the surface. Also, you should use Clorox in it's concentrated form, it is already incredibly diluted chlorine. Be sure to not stick around because the chlorine can also kill you if you breath it long enough.

Alfred

Hey guys, bleach is not effective against mold. It will feed the mold spores and while you won't be able to see it when you wipe the mold off, it will reappear with a vengeance. The chemistry doesn't work!

Find a janitorial/carpet cleaning supply house in your area and purchase a quat cleaner or a mildicide. I like interlink products personally. Quat cleaners won't stain or discolor anything and will kill the mold spores.

Also, do NOT use a fan unless you set up a containment area and use air scrubbers. In other words 'don't try this at home' with regard to fans.

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
i aprcate all the help guys, this morning i used disolved pool chlorene to clean the area, then since that was not changing the color of the carpet i decided to use some bleach and that worked well. i let it soak in, and then dried it off. the source was the tank that i took down today to put into the new 90. it had a few spills and i thought it was cleaned up, but apparently not. i now know to clean up better after a spill. the tank transfer is complete and everything is doing great.

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
so today i was getting everything ready to upgrade from my 44 reef to a 90. In this proces i had to take down a computer and a desk. under a portion of the desk, about 10 inches by 2 feet was a piece of wood and the bottom of the piece of wood was covered in black mold as well as the carpet underneath it. before i set up the tank tomorrow i want to know the best way to clean and get rid of the mold problem. HELP Please!!!

Best thing to do is to tear out the carpet, bleach the wood, and then dry the hell out of it with a hair dryer or something similar. The bleach will kill most of the mold, but if you leave dampness, deeper portions of the mold may come back out and spread again -- now fueled by all the organic detritus from the dead mold. If you heat it with a hair dryer or something until the wood actually gets -hot-, you're more likely to drive off moisture and kill residual hyphae.

An important thing to figure out is -why- mold was growing there. Is it possible there's a leak of some sort?

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
i aprcate all the help guys, this morning i used disolved pool chlorene to clean the area, then since that was not changing the color of the carpet i decided to use some bleach and that worked well. i let it soak in, and then dried it off. the source was the tank that i took down today to put into the new 90. it had a few spills and i thought it was cleaned up, but apparently not. i now know to clean up better after a spill. the tank transfer is complete and everything is doing great.

Aah, yeah, that can happen easily. Particularly if there's carpet to wick the water under inaccessible places.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: