Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
It all depends on what your going to keep. If it's in your budget, i would go with one of those complete setups like the finnex tanks that come with lights,skimmer,and even a refuge. Try and get the one with the Metal hailide lights so you won't have any limits to what you can keep. i am starting a thread with my 30gal Finnex so you can see what it looks like

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Hi there.

If you are NEW to reef and a BUSY person, I would recommend to go for a little bigger in the system because of stability, heating issues and limited choice of live stock.

Of course, if you choose the easy ones and they don't require much space nor light, it's all fine.

PalmTree

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Welcome to MR Lola! I agree with wing. A bigger tank though will cost a little more will be less complicated to maintain. And if you do go with a nano I would do what Dave said go with a complete setup.

melbourne

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm going to be setting up a small reef for my mother-in-law. I've been looking at the Red Sea Max. It has received decent reviews for an all-in-one. If you just want to do a standard tank, look into getting something with a deeper footprint than the 29 for aquascaping purposes. Also consider getting a reef-ready tank although in that size its either custom or drilling it yourself.

On small tanks things like salinity/temperature/etc. can change rapidly. Things like an auto-topoff, 2 way temperature controller and protein skimmer can really help.

digitalreefer

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
My girlfriend Lissa (ellebelle) currently has a 29g as her first reef tank. Larger tanks are easier to keep stable, but properly set up, a 29g isn't too bad. Make sure you get quality equipment, and use a sump to store your equipment. This will add to your water volume and keep your tank from becoming cluttered. An auto top off is a great idea, and you may want to consider a chiller if the room temperature will get high during the summer months. Once you determine what you want to keep, you can decide what type of lighting you'll need and start a budget sheet.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: