da5speed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I purchased a used custom 3/4 inch glass custom tank and am planning on moving it today. The tank is 72*23 1/4*40. I have 5-6 of my strong buddy's to help me out. Being that it is a all glass bottom and no plastic, wooden or metal lip under it i think its going to be hard for all of us to grip the tank. I could be wrong. Any pointers that anyone can give me would be great.
(correction tank is a 280)

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x89/da5speed/DSC_0008Large.jpg

DSC_0008Large.jpg

Last edited:

da5speed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
One suggestion i got is to build a wooden frame out of 2*4's. Place that first on top of the horses and then place that tank on that. that way we have a lip to grab on to. Leaving in at 12 so anything thoght before then would be great

Last edited:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I have seen people use sheets to move large tanks.
take a large sheet, twist it into a rope then slide it under the tank.
with two of these four guys can pick the tank up and walk it pretty much
anywhere. make sure the sheets are long enough to provide enough slack to cradle the tank.

frank arriaga

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Just take your time look at the move before you start go over it as many time with your help make sure you lay the tank on a level surface good luck

Last edited:

da5speed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Thanks guys. What i ended up doing is building a bottom frame that looked like a ladder. Put that on 2 horses and was able to slide the tank on to that. From there we now had a lip to hold on to and 6 of us walked it out to the truck. And for 3/4 inch glass 72*24*39 you do need at least 6 guys and two spots with the horse. Other wise if was a tank day. Heres some pics of what i when i purchased the tank.

DSC_0006Large.jpg

DSC_0004Large-1.jpg

DSC_0002Large.jpg

DSC_0010Large.jpg

sasinow

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I just bought a 240 and it is 72 x 24 x 31 - from glasscages - I strongly suggest you get a pro to move it-
I used a professional moving service - best money I ever spent - Guaranteed against breakage as they are fully insured- they charged me $400.00
well worth it- they wrapped it and then carried it up a flight of stairs on a piano board. These are pros and it wasn't easy-
Here is there info:
Columbia Moving Systems
1-800-707-0945
718-707-0977
ask for Tony
Tell him I referred you - tell him the guy you moved the tank for in staten Island -I guarantee he will remember me -
Steve
any questions call me
917-682-9941

jw10604

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I just moved an old Oceanic bow 175G from my old house to a rental. I did it myself with some help from my brother. It took me 2 full days to move the tank, equipment and livestock. I needed a week of sitting in a recliner to recuperate. The thought of doing it again is making me think about down sizing.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: