Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Hello everyone, I am moving my 125 gallon tank this saturday and I was wondering if you guys can give me your input on moving the live rock.

The move is really close by, about 3 miles :) I was thinking about putting the live rock in 5 gallon buckets with out water so that its not so heavy. How long can the live rock last out side of the water?

Tx

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
do you need the live rock to be fully cycled when you reach your destination?
If you don't then the 3 miles will be quick enough to get there without water. If you need it to be fully up and running as soon as possible, then i'd suggest you put some water in those buckets and keep the rocks fairly moist.

hijinks

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
i put all mine in a 18g bucket like half filled with water and a wet towel over it for the move.. lasted around 3 hours and saw no cycle start at all for a week.. I tested each day

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Rachid,

I thought you said 3 blocks, lol.

But what we'll do is take paper towels, dip them and soak them into tank water and wrap it around the live rock and you should be good for a nice amount of time.

seascape

Acan Crazy
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
i have a 180g with about 500lbs of live rock had to move it a couple months ago i used about 8 of them roughneck 35g plastic garbage cans with the home depot contractor bags i put the LR in them sprayed the rock down with about 15 or 20 g's of water tied the bags and had no prob at all and i moved the rock over 15 miles in the cold.Tank is up and running fine honestly better then it was before i moved it.And if you wanted you could put more water in so you also have a way to hall your water.In the move i only had about a 15g water loss.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: