BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
I dont know if my banded Coral Shrimp molted and is hiding or just got eaten by a tankmate. I havent seen him for about a week and i don't see any remains or any molted exoskeleton.

The only thing that could possibly eat him i believe is my LT anemone. I don't even know if he would.

Tank has a hippo Tang, Yellow Tang, Achilles tang, flame angel, royal Gramma, false clown, and a foxface. Theres also some small hermit crabs, three cleaner shrimp and a bunch of snails.

Ive looked all around with a flashlight into every crevice front and back of the tank. Before he would always lurk around in the back of the tank behind the LR.

I have a 110 Tall.

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
ouch, my cleaner shrimp are ballsy though. they get pretty close to my lt. sometimes they skip right over em. im staring hoping the LT doesn't get a good grip on em. They step on the anemone and everything.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Shrimp can hide very well in your rock-work...so there is hope!
Try tossing some food pellets in there long after lights out and see if he skitters out to grab some. That is how I keep track of my shrimp :)

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
They sometimes die in the molting process. I had that happen once.
It either couldnt molt all the way of something attacked it during the process.
I have heard stories of breeding clown fish attacking molting shrimp so they dont take the fry.

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
i haven't been able to find a corpse. I did notice that my BCS did go after my clown from time to time trying to catch em. So i guess he was a little aggressive. still hope he is alive though.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
If the shrimp was hit when it was molting then it could have been consumed.
You might be looking at the carcass and not a molt.
It is really tough to distinguish sometimes.

Then again, you may see it walking around soon.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: