motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
lol i have some pics of my old 120 in my pics, but i lost everything.. had a catastophic failure while away on vacation.. soo i was able to convince the wife that now was the perfect time to upgrade! hahah, i was waling in with the new tank with 3 friends she said what r u doing i said were upgrading honey... she said good its big enough for u to sleep in!... nice right? lol

Larissa

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have him look at this thread again - might not be 'til after 7 when he gets home; work has been crazy for him this week.

Meanwhile, I think I like your wife!

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Because of flow and feeding requirements, it's not a good idea to house seahorses as part of a larger system. I know of at least one person that tried this and it didn't go so well.

They should really have a dedicated tank.

I will politely disagree. Dom (domboski) has kept seahorses in a larger system with very few problems. Jonathan (jhale) kept orange banded pipefish in a high-flow SPS system. I think this is one of the myths that continually gets propagated in this hobby. What I would say is that if you are keeping them in a larger system, you need to be mindful of their needs, i.e. no stinging corals as they will hitch to them, etc.

Beginners are probably best keeping them in a dedicated tank.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I will politely disagree. Dom (domboski) has kept seahorses in a larger system with very few problems. Jonathan (jhale) kept orange banded pipefish in a high-flow SPS system. I think this is one of the myths that continually gets propagated in this hobby. What I would say is that if you are keeping them in a larger system, you need to be mindful of their needs, i.e. no stinging corals as they will hitch to them, etc.

Beginners are probably best keeping them in a dedicated tank.

Dom and Jonathan are both experienced enough to try something a bit out of the norm. My advice was more along the lines of "If you have to ask, you should start simple".

I agree that it can be done, but feel that it's more of an undertaking than a first time seahorse keeper should take on. I also feel that you can run a skimmerless tank, and a tank without RO water, but generally wouldn't advise a beginner to do so.

What it comes down to, is that there very few rules that are set in stone in this hobby. Experience and effort can overcome many of the "no-nos" in this hobby.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: