fishboy113

Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Im starting my tank back up its a 90gal. and I want to breed clownfish I already have what i think is a female Australian Black Percula (its about 3 inches). I had it for about 3 years now and I want to put it in the 90 and buy a small Black Percula is this a good idea? what do you guys think I should do?

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Well you can't force the fish to breed. It is going to take time. But you need more than just a 90 to breed. I have been reading about breeding a bit. You can keep the fish in the 90 IMO, but you need to look ahead to how you will collect the eggs or the larvae directly from the tank.

I don't think that it really matters where the pair are. But the egg collection and raising are the more important part.

I am not a guru on this, I hope that others that are will chime in.

fishboy113

Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
thanks thirty for your input but when you say i will need more then a 90 what do u mean? like another tank to raise the larvae? i have another tank for that

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Yes
even just a 10 gallon to raise the larve and the equpiment to go with that tank. And then you will need another tank to hold them as they grow, I dont think that you actually plan to dump all the fishies into your 90...

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I actually Was planing on rasing the larvae in the 10 gal and then when there grown putting them in the 90 or is that not a good idea?

Depending on how many survive your tank might not be big enough to support their bio-load as they grow bigger.

As for male vs female... clownfish are both. Their sex is determined based on their social ranking. So the larger/stronger fish will become the female. If she was to die or be removed the next largest fish would likely become the female.

My ocellaris are currently going through this as they were the same size when I introduced them into my tank a few weeks ago. One the lights go out at night they chase each other around and nip at each other to show who's stronger. Note, they are not fighting, simply proving dominance. I have a video on my phone I will post on youtube tonight if I can.

If your current fish is much larger than the new one there's a chance it could accidentally kill the smaller fish. I would make sure the new fish is not too much smaller.

fishboy113

Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well I also plan to sell some that I won't be able to keep I'm curious how many larvae usually survive and how many of them little bugers do u think I can keep ony tank

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Well I also plan to sell some that I won't be able to keep I'm curious how many larvae usually survive and how many of them little bugers do u think I can keep ony tank

It really depends on how much experience you have, condition of water, level of stress when transferring, etc.

I wish I could be more help but these are the first I'm trying to breed as well! Do as much research as you can is my suggestion.

This book is a very good starting point: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1890087718/?tag=reefs04-20

I wish there was a breeder's forum on MR. I will start a thread soon hopefully!

fishboy113

Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Cool thanks for the book I will check it out. I just wanna make sure im not getting in over my head I would love to do this project but I will have to do proper research before diving in. Im surprised there isn't a breeders forum in MR.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: