bigbbinthehouse

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need MR expertise P/C or T5?

This is my current light fixture:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+9654+13739&pcatid=13739

Mine looks different than the picture. It has 4 130w bulbs in now. I want to upgrade to mh, but want a combo fixture that my wife won't kill me over. I was thinking as a compromise, a retro combo kit for my current fixture. I know MH would be best for coral growth, but i don't have a chiller and getting one really isn't an option at this point. tank stays around 76-80 now, even with heat wave (thanks to a/c and ice bottles). So, in your collective wisdom, what do you think?

BTW, tank is 90g.

Last edited:

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
zanymaster has a 90 and he uses T5's and things seem to be encrusting/growing in his tank

if you are 100% not going to go with a chiller then you prob dont want MH
of coarse there are ways to keep them alittle cooler. Your tank is already 76-80 and I am not sure how much heat your light gives off now but MH get HOT

DCG1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
181   0   0
Hmmmm...t-5 with individual reflectors...can't keep SPS and Clams without them...sorry to say...some have been able to...
i personally would not...don't trust the watts per gallon rule when concerning these things...80w of T-5 is more powerful then 130W of PC...Or do as you suggested...t-5 with MH retro...or something like that...i have seen many tanks with this combo...they look awesome...Just my 2cents

-David

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: