jfahim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
i dont see how my phosphates could be so high...i will purchase a test kit however. i do not feed flake or pellets. i made the food at home by cutting and grinding shrimp, scallops, and clams, and i added a little bit of seaweed. i froze them into little cubes about the size of a finger nail. when i feed them i add 2 drops of garlic xtreme and selcon.
i do run phosban and i have chaeto in the sump....could phosphates still be high?

jfahim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
as far as the water from the lfs goes....my friend set his tank up around the same time as mine and uses the same salt water for water changes and water for top off without a problem..... i have a feeling it may have been too much daylight and not enough things stirring up the sand....hope i can fix this

jfahim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
so far so good for the tank since i have lowered the powerheads and faced them down and restricted the amount of daylight. the algae has stopped growing, however i have a couple hills of sand from the powerheads. i will wait a little while and move them back up a little bit as soon as the sand gets completely cleared

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
make sure when you place the power heads back you allow them to still provide flow across the sand without creating a sandstorm. this will kept the sand free of algae due to poor flow.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
(1) I used to run my power compacts 11 hours per day and I never had any problems. You don't NEED to restrict your light to 5 hours per day - many of us do this to conserve money on our electric bills. Think about where reefs are located - in those places, the corals are going to have light from the sun for somewhere around 12 hours per day. By only leaving our lights on for 5 or 6 hour, we're creating strange subartic reefs, sunlight-wise. :)

(2) Definitely switch from purple up to B-ionic 2-part to dose for your calcium and bicarbonate. However, since you only have a few softies in your tank, I doubt you need to be dosing daily. Check your Ca and Dkh on a particular day, then check it again the next day. That will tell you how much calcium and bicarbonate your tank is using on a daily basis and adjust your dosing acccordingly.

(3) Read Matt's "Cyanobacteria Primer" which has all the information you might need about cleaning up your red slime problem.

(4) Just because you are not using pellet or flake food does not mean you don't have phosphates. Unless you are feeding all live foods, any kind of food you put into the tank is probably going to add phosphates in some way. The trick is to do this at a low level and then remove them.

(5) I would add GFO and carbon to your system to help with nutrient export. You can do this with phosban reactors (best option) or at the very least, put it in filter socks in your sump (less good option).

(6) I would feed the tangs more than just a little seaweed. They need their veggies in order to have a completely balanced diet. Lack of veggies can lead to nutritional deficiencies. Some people have suggested that this might cause HLLE.

(7) Once a tank is set up, you will never have a sparkling clean sand bed ever again. However, if you want a clean-ish sand bed, you should stock things that will sift the sand for you. Nassarius and cerith snails would be a good start. Once your sandbed is more established, you could add a sand sifting goby - but be aware that they will bury your corals.

jfahim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
so much more is going to evolve in this tank, but as far as the red slime....its all gone. That was quick!! i believe all it was, was lack of flow. It is all gone, from my display tank....is it bad now if its in the refugium?

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
ellebelle;498637 (4) Just because you are not using pellet or flake food does not mean you don't have phosphates. Unless you are feeding all live foods said:
Even with live foods you are adding phosphate to the system, as phosphate is an intrical part of biological systems. They goal is to add as little phosphate to the system, and follow that up with agressive phosphate removal.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: