shalon

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I am new here and new to saltwater fish keeping have some question about it.
I have a 20 gallon tank and would like to know how much the salinity should be of the water

I would also like to know how much base rock I should place in the tank because I afford any live rock at the moment.
Also anyone know where I can get some scrapings of coralline algae form for free

Which is better crush coral or live sand If I missed anything let me know please[/font]
Thanks
shalon

Last edited:

thewolfguy

shadow member
Rating - 92.3%
24   2   0
welcome

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs.
First off, your salinity should be between 1.021 and 1.023. You can check this with a refractometer.
You should be using a sand bed, preferably a DSB or deep sand bed to keep the bacteria undisturbed within. If you use the crushed coral, eventually it will hold detrius materials.
As for you base rock, the general rule of thumb is 1 1/2 lbs. 2 lbs. per gallon of water, so you can go anywhere between 30lbs. 40lbs. For a 20 gallon I would use 30 lbs. You should get a small bit of live sand to seed your sand bed, as well as try to get at least one piece of live rock to establish your base rock. After your first cycle you can add a small fish, such as a damsel to build up he bacteria in your tank. Make sure that you have everything setup from the beginning, such as your protein skimmer, a sumo or refugium if you are going to use one, your heater, lighting, as well as prepared R.O.D.I water and seal salt. If you do bnot have a reverse osmosis system, now would be the time to invest in one. It take out all of the impurities from your water, such as chlorines, metals, nitrates, amonia, nitrites, and phospates, to name a few. What type of tank are you trying to create? FOWLR (Fish only with live rock), or a reef with with and corals?

h20 freak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I am new here and new to saltwater fish keeping have some question about it.
I have a 20 gallon tank and would like to know how much the salinity should be of the water
Depends on what your doing, if its a reef then 1.024 to 1.027 would be better but if its only fish then 1.020 to 1.027, the lower in the ranges, the better because evaporation is going to be constantly raising your salinity.

I would also like to know how much base rock I should place in the tank because I afford any live rock at the moment.
like 30 40 pounds with a few pounds of live, or you can buy uncured and use the die off to cycle(thats would I would do if I had to start over)
Also anyone know where I can get some scrapings of coralline algae form for free

Which is better crush coral or live sand If I missed anything let me know please[/font]
Thanks
shalon

Sand, forget the "live" kind sold in bags, its a waste of money.I know my lfs sells their own fresh live sand which is the way to go but otherwise just leave the sand to be seeded with the rock.

DO NOT GET CRUSHED CORAL, JUST NO.

Never get a fish unless its what you want in your tank. Don't get one to eat algae or cycle your tank or eat aptasia, if you would like me to explain I will but I'm trying to keep this short.

Don't skimp on skimmer, get the best you can.

RODI is a must IMO

shalon

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Manhattan Reefs.
First off, your salinity should be between 1.021 and 1.023. You can check this with a refractometer.
You should be using a sand bed, preferably a DSB or deep sand bed to keep the bacteria undisturbed within. If you use the crushed coral, eventually it will hold detrius materials.
As for you base rock, the general rule of thumb is 1 1/2 lbs. 2 lbs. per gallon of water, so you can go anywhere between 30lbs. 40lbs. For a 20 gallon I would use 30 lbs. You should get a small bit of live sand to seed your sand bed, as well as try to get at least one piece of live rock to establish your base rock. After your first cycle you can add a small fish, such as a damsel to build up he bacteria in your tank. Make sure that you have everything setup from the beginning, such as your protein skimmer, a sumo or refugium if you are going to use one, your heater, lighting, as well as prepared R.O.D.I water and seal salt. If you do bnot have a reverse osmosis system, now would be the time to invest in one. It take out all of the impurities from your water, such as chlorines, metals, nitrates, amonia, nitrites, and phospates, to name a few. What type of tank are you trying to create? FOWLR (Fish only with live rock), or a reef with with and corals?

am trying to create a reef tank that has fish and like rock also

shalon

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what your doing, if its a reef then 1.024 to 1.027 would be better but if its only fish then 1.020 to 1.027, the lower in the ranges, the better because evaporation is going to be constantly raising your salinity.
like 30 40 pounds with a few pounds of live, or you can buy uncured and use the die off to cycle(thats would I would do if I had to start over)

Sand, forget the "live" kind sold in bags, its a waste of money.I know my lfs sells their own fresh live sand which is the way to go but otherwise just leave the sand to be seeded with the rock.

DO NOT GET CRUSHED CORAL, JUST NO.

Never get a fish unless its what you want in your tank. Don't get one to eat algae or cycle your tank or eat aptasia, if you would like me to explain I will but I'm trying to keep this short.

Don't skimp on skimmer, get the best you can.

RODI is a must IMO

thanks alot
i would like to add fish what steps would i have to take

ocholoco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99%
96   1   0
hey

you have a lot of reading to do. I suggest you learn more about the hobby before you start adding fish and coral to your tank.

shalon

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got the skimmer today annd got A power head. what more do i need to get. i plan to add fish later on when every thing is setup and working fine

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: