Stackbundles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So today I wanted to start the cycle on my 75 gallon salt water tank. I woke up this morning and bought 50 pounds of LV. Everything was going smooth until I turned on my return pump in my sump. At first it was fine, then all of sudden my sump was flooding. The return pipe was sucking all the water in the tank back into the sump. Before I knew it there was about 20 gallons of water on the floor. I?m pretty sure the reason why, is because I didn?t have the Air hole in the pipe on the return. Can someone HELP? This is much appreciated.
Stack

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Sounds like you started a siphon. If you drill a small hole in the return pipe right below the normal water line, this won't happen again.

As far as the flood goes, the only help I can provide is the suggestion to go buy a shop vac.

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Something has me confused here....

Everything was going smooth until I turned on my return pump in my sump.

The siphon holes are for when the pumps shut off to prevent back filling the sump like you described. What pump are you running?

Rating - 100%
298   0   0
I think he meant "off". But what is strange is that he just let 20 gallon of water flooded his sump in front of him without trying to turn the return pump back "on" when that was originally working for him. Maybe he panicked.

Last edited:

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
pics would help, do you have nozzles for your return, If so how far down are the nozzles of your return in the tank. It sounds like they do not have a hole drilled just below running water level. The hole will create a syphon break, without the hole the water in the DT will keep darining till the nozzles create the syphon break.

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
The siphon break will be the best bet, just remember to clean it during water changes.
I know many may disagree with this but the check valve is a false security blanket, you will need to clean it as well and check for debris like baby snail shells. They work great for the first few months but as the tank establishes you will need to clean or it will fail.

Shop Vac....priceless.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: