NoobieReefer

A newbie!
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what is going on here. I've had my overflow box for about a year and lately i've seen the water level get higher and higher to the point where its right on the rim. I've shut the return pump thinking i may have a flood. I've tried to clean the sponge and restart the siphon. I belive the u-tube is 1 inch and my return pump is 600 gph. Anyone have any ideas?

Geezuz183

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Trapped Air

I had the same problem once.
I noticed there was a big air pocket/bubble right at the top of the U-tube.
Check to see if you have air trapped in the tube while it's running then tap the air out of it.
you might have to tap the tube pretty hard to get a full flow going.
This worked for me.

I have no idea what is going on here. I've had my overflow box for about a year and lately i've seen the water level get higher and higher to the point where its right on the rim. I've shut the return pump thinking i may have a flood. I've tried to clean the sponge and restart the siphon. I belive the u-tube is 1 inch and my return pump is 600 gph. Anyone have any ideas?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Does your box have an adjustment screw so that you can raise the level of the inner box? It might have settled slightly lower over time.

Do you have a gate or ball valve after your return pump that you can idal back just a tiny bit to try and even out the drain & return flow so they equal each other?

Have you ever cleaned the U tube when doing a water change. Usually a good idea to keep the water running swiftly through it.
Adding an airline to remove the air bubble that frequently forms at the top of the tube is easy to do :)
IMG_3412.jpg

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Where is this airline tubing attached to?

In the picuture?
It isn't attached to anything. The idea behind these is to easily suck out the air bubble that forms in U-Tubes upon start up. After the air bubble is removed you simply close the valve tightly and you'r good to go and don't end up with a mouthful of SW :)

The airline is cut to whatever length is comfortable to reach from your OFB. I keep mine coiled on top of my OFB when it's not in use.

The MOST important thing about making one of these is the be sure that it is totally sealed where the piece of rigid airline goes into the U-Tube.

Necsones

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had the same problem at one point. i would always get a small bubble in the U tube that just got bigger and slowed down the siphon... what i did, if u have a ball valve in the down pipe, close it to where the water level starts riseing in the overflow box and once it starts to fill up quickly open the ball vavle all the way and all the air in the U tube will be sucked out. Havent had that problem since i done that.

ricwilli

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I had the same problem, and all I did was clean it and soaked the U-Tube in vinegar and problem solved. All the above suggestions work as well. I was going to do what Kathy did with her U-Tube but was to lazy.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: