ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The recommended quantity from the manufacturer is 1 gram per gallon. IIRC somebody weighed this stuff and it's around 85 grams per cup, so basically in your case, roughly 1 cup by volume (or half of the can if you're buying it in the 150 gram size).

A lot of folks just load up the reactor so they don't have to refill it as often. The "standard" size reactors like the TLF 150 or the Kent reactor are intended to handle a full 150 gram size container of GFO (roughly 2 cups). IIRC, this fills the reactor about half way.

Set the flow rate so that you see some movement of the granules near the media surface, but not so much that they're tumbling.

Personally, I rinse this stuff before I use it. I also catch/dump the first few cups of water that comes out of the reactor after I have it hooked back up.

One word of caution... if this is an established tank with sensitive critters like stony corals, etc., you might try starting of with a small amount - say a couple of tablespoons. I've personally never had a problem, but some folks have reported issues when bringing elevated phosphate levels down quickly in an established tank - particularly with stony corals.

HTH

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard that phosphate sponges shouldn't be rinsed, but I think it might differ from manufacturer to manufacturer. I know Rowaphos says not to rinse, and I think people have extrapolated this instruction to all phosphate media.

zukinjim

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, I rinsed it somewhat but not fully and put half the can in the reactor. Ran it in a milk jug till it was no longer redish.I have just a little movement on top is this good?

kgross

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest you rinse it some, you will get a lot of fine red dust coming out when you first turn the water on. Just run the first gallon or two from the reactor to drain for a small water change.

Kim

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: