thebestfishcare

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The Purple Lobster is a relatively new item to become available in the aquarium industry. These Lobsters have incredible coloring that begins with purple and extends to violet, pink, shades of blue, and yellow. They will not harm or attack other invertebrates or fish, unless provoked. Purple Lobsters prefer lots of hiding places, crevices, and caves, so it is best if you have lots of rockwork in your aquarium. The Purple Lobster is nocturnal and should be fed meaty pieces regularly; they will also accept flake and pellets. Keep only one per tank. They make a great addition to any aquarium.

Lobsters belong to the Class Crustacea and Order Decapoda, which is characterized by two pair of antennae, three body parts, and five pairs of legs. The head of a Lobster is connected to the thorax and covered by a shell called carapace. If a Lobster has antennae they are normally thick and conical and serve the Lobster as extended eyes. Lobsters normally have thick and wide abdomens and tails which allow them to propel their body backwards at lightning speeds. In order for Lobsters to grow they need to shed their exoskeleton, a process called "molting", which allows them to remove their restricting shell and begin a new one. Often times in the home aquarium Lobsters will leave this translucent shell in full view so it can serve as a distraction while the Lobster finds a hiding place as its new shell hardens.

Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I recently picked one up from a MR Member due to its great coloration. I dont dare to keep it in my display w/ all my corals and fish since it looks mighty mean.

I do keep it in my sump / fuge which has mushrooms, chaeto, mangroves, live rock. It tends to hide most of the time but comes out for food at night. My mushrooms are the only corals in the fuge and hasn't been bothered.

jasony816

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I feel that I shouldnt keep it in the display either because it does look pretty mean. I guess its not very known if it is really fish and reef safe or not. My display tank is in the process of being cycled and I dont have a sump yet, as of right now its in a bucket with shallow water. Any tips as to what to do with it because I think if I leave it in the tank I wont be able to get it back out later on.

sil3ncio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Don't let the looks of this lobster bother you..... I have one on my display, it doesn't bother my fish, coral or other inverts...... It's a beautiful animal, but it hides out most of the time, only comes out if food is nearby or at night

jasony816

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yea it does look very nice and colorful as I have it in a holding bucket now and still unsure if I should put it back in the display because then it will be very to catch it again.

Salty Dog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90.9%
20   2   0
I have a purple reef lobster in my 225g reef tank, Most of the time he is hidding but at night with a flash light you can see him. He doesnt bother any of the tank mates or coral as of yet ( 3 months).

jasony816

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yea I am still keeping it in a bucket as of now as to see if I can get anymore information on this new lobster because I dont want to have to try and catch it. I am in the process of catching some crab and i have seen it twice and never can get it. I dont know if I am paranoid or not but I keep hearing noise in the thank, I hope its not a manthis shrimp because I hear people say you will hear noises in the tank but I am not sure what kind of noises.

Kind regards
Jason

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: