32Bit_Fish

As I have mentioned in my other post that I lost three clownfish to brooklynella disease a week ago. The fish had symptoms of rapid breathing, white/clear stringy feces and white mucus on their body.

After some research and formalin 37% is recommended to treat this disease. Did anyone use formalin to treat this disease? Is formalin effective cure the fish?

I'm also wondering whether hyposalinity is necessary to be introduced along with formalin treatment to treat brooklynella.

What's difference between Marine Ich and Brooklynella symptom wise?

Thanks

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
no, cannot use hyposalinity combined with any other treatments.

I have to run to work so I need to ask that you read the attached link.
Tab on the side and you can read about Marine Ich as well.

You are describing Brooklynella in your tank.

http://atj.net.au/marineaquaria/brooklynella.html

Thanks for the link.

What is your take on rid ich+ to treat brooklynella? Some people say it works and others say they dont work at all. I think people misdiagnosed their fish. According to some articles, formalin is effective on brooklynella disease and cupperamine (copper based med) is effective treating marine ich. I figure formalin and cupperamine kill different parasites.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Thanks for the link.

What is your take on rid ich+ to treat brooklynella? Some people say it works and others say they dont work at all. I think people misdiagnosed their fish. According to some articles, formalin is effective on brooklynella disease and cupperamine (copper based med) is effective treating marine ich. I figure formalin and cupperamine kill different parasites.

Absolute garbage, don't waste your money. It is useless against anything.

If you end up with Brooklynella again, you need to treat it immediately. It kills incredibly fast.

I might also suggest getting your fish from a reputable source :)

bizarrecorals

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brooklynella is a difficult disease to treat, if is a fish only tank, it'll much easier, malachite green at the right dosage and frequent f/w dip will do the trick, Hyposalinity will only slow down the problem but it WILL NOT cure, if brooklyn is present in a reef tank, is not a wise idea to introduce anymore clowns in the tank. The only way to solve this problem in a reef tank, is always quarentine fish for 6-8 weeks before introducing to your "main" tank, dosn't matter if the fish is tank raised or farm raised or from a reputable sourse, once it is in your reef tank, it is close to impossible to treat.

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing some research on how to treat Brooklynella disease. Several online articles as well as people from other message boards suggested formalin can be effective treating this disease. I've copied and pasted Rid Ich+ description below. It kills both cryptocaryon and Amyloodinium. Did anyone use this product to treat brooklynella before? I may going to give it a try.

===================================================

Kordon's Rid?Ich+ is a combination of two powerful medications which have proven effective in the control of many diseases of freshwater fishes caused by external protozoan (single cell) parasites such as white spot disease, Ichthyophthiriasis, Costia, Trichodina, Chilodonella and saltwater external parasites such as Cryptocaryon and Amyloodinium . The medication can also treat fungal infections in fishes.

Rid?Ich+ is recommended as the best chemical treatment for Ich, (white spot disease), having been originally developed decades ago for professional aquaculture, public aquariums, and government use in treating fishes. Other than refinement in ingredients, it has continued to remain as the foremost scientifically developed chemical treatment for Ich white spot disease. Efficacy is improved and the treatment time is often reduced when compared to treatment with either the chemicals malachite or formalin alone. Additionally, the Rid?Ich+ formula utilizes the less common but also less toxic chloride salt of malachite green (this is the same salt used in Kordon's Malachite Green).

The recommended treatment concentration of Rid?Ich+ should be approached with caution, carefully observing the reactions of the treated fishes and ceasing treatment if any undue stress is noted. Remember, when the first outward signs of Ich (scattered spots) are noticed, the fish is often quite heavily parasitic in the mouth and gills - lowering the fish's ability to withstand additional stress. The weaker the fishes' condition, the poorer its response will be to any medication. Rid?Ich+ has been shown to be reasonably safe for use on fishes which normally cannot tolerate malachite green alone.

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also found this article, see link below.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_1/brooklynella.htm

I bought all three clownfish from a fish vendor here which everyone on this board agreed that all his fish are healthy.

But I guess I was very lucky that happened to me my first fish I bought from him that comes with brooklynella. I understand any reputable vendor doesn't guarantee of healthy fish 100%. I should have quarantine all new fish which I am going to do from now on ( I have a 10g QT tank set up).

Anyway, my tank is fishless right now and it will remain that way for another a few weeks.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Rid Ich is an absoulute waste of time and money. There are more superior products out there. I would try something different to treat it, Have you ever heard of the product Clout? That is a strong medicine and has worked for me in the past. It is not reef safe at all. And Herbtana is a waste of money as well and is not Reef safe either as it says. I experimented with it in a 10 gallon tank and it killed my shrimp as well as a mushroom rock over night, I also lost a few zoas.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: