Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So, I've had my tank for about 2 months now and everything was going great until tonight. I checked my Salinity and it was at 1.029!! I did a 25% water change and did a test on my water. The majority of it was fine but I had a problem with changing the water. Now from what I can remember salt does not leave the tank during water evaporation right? Well if this is true then my question is this. How the hell do you make up the water and then add it to the tank without spiking the S.G. levels again? I appreciate all responses. Thanks ahead of time.

SFWBreefguy

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
When you did the water change you should have checked the salinity in the tank before adding the new water. Most likely it would have dropped and if it did not then you need to calculate. Lets say it did not then i would have mixed the new water you are adding to a 1.018 level and when mixed the salinity in the water would have dropped. Remember when you add the new water to the tank check the salinity when you are done adding and again in a few hours.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
When you did the water change you should have checked the salinity in the tank before adding the new water. Most likely it would have dropped and if it did not then you need to calculate. Lets say it did not then i would have mixed the new water you are adding to a 1.018 level and when mixed the salinity in the water would have dropped. Remember when you add the new water to the tank check the salinity when you are done adding and again in a few hours.
What????

SFWB, what have you been replacing the evaporated water with?
What size tank do you have?
Smaller tanks salinity will fluctuate a great deal more then the larger tanks.:(

We top off the evaporated water in our tanks with plain ro/di water (or God forbid tap water.lol).
When we do water changes we match the salinity in the new water to the salinity in the tank.;)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: