michaelp

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I have a pair of clowns that haven't had an anemone for four years. Can anyone suggest a nice looking anemone for them? I guess they'll probably just ignore it, but worth a try...

SCUBA Diva

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a tank that big, a large carpet would be great. If the clowns have hosted an anemone before, they will GLADLY accept another. The only problem w/a carpet is that they "rome around" ALOT! If you have corals, it will kill or damage many. A RBTA is pretty expensive, if you are to get one that is large enough to host both clowns and not too small to get lost in your 250. A 7-10 inch Bubble Tip or Long Tenticle would be perfect! They tend to "split" often also. I have Green BTA's and they split constantly. I own 3 mated pair of clowns, and have 7 anems. Good luck with your choice! Post pics when you make your decision!

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ritteris have a very poor track record. Most of them never survive the collection and/or shipping stress.

gigangeas are very nice, one of the more difficult nems but not quite as bad as the ritteri. They get very large as well.

If you are looking for an easier lower maintenance anemone, I suggest a nice RBTA or Purple LTA.

dickenscd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have tried different anemones, RBTA is possibly your best choice. You may possibly get a free 5" RBTA from the next LIRA meeting, please refer to the following thread.

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum...-free-corals-attendees-lira-next-meeting.html

If 5" is too small, I may pull out the following 10" fifteen years old giant from my tanks at home and make it available (free) for the winner in the same meeting. However, there is no guarantee because it's not easy to pull it out from the big rock.

70720037.jpg

James

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This is the question that should be answered before you buy anything. Most clowns are anemone specific.

this has not been my experience. most clowns in captivity will take to an most unnatural host anemones that they normally wouldnt in nature. For example, Percs and BTAs...doesnt happen in nature, but happens all the time in captivity.

My A. Nigripes will jump into anything that somewhat resembles an anemone.

18oreefer

+270
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
this has not been my experience. most clowns in captivity will take to an most unnatural host anemones that they normally wouldnt in nature. For example, Percs and BTAs...doesnt happen in nature, but happens all the time in captivity.

My A. Nigripes will jump into anything that somewhat resembles an anemone.

If that works in your case cool but i have 3 bubbles in my tank and my percula has no interest in them either does my saddle back. In nature though most clowns are anemone specific and its a good idea to give the clowns the proper choice of home IMO.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If that works in your case cool but i have 3 bubbles in my tank and my percula has no interest in them either does my saddle back. In nature though most clowns are anemone specific and its a good idea to give the clowns the proper choice of home IMO.

could be your clowns. my perculas have never shown interest in any anemone. Even a Hecteractis Magnifica which is their natural host. IME some clowns simply don't take to a host in captivity, and even when a natural host is introduced they don't show interest.

In other cases, a clown will host anything. I think it's more about the individuality of the fish versus what type of host is available.

Last edited:

gfernandes

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
yeah i had perculas in my old tank and when i had a bubble anemone they wouldn't even swim near it but when i put the ritteri anemone in it they moved in within a couple of hours and it lived for a good year and i found it inside out but i have no idea why that happened all i kno is that they looked great.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: