cathym1078

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I am new in starting a reef tank. I've had a fresh water fish tank in the past and wanted to upgrade. I bought a 75 gallon tank, but it's not reef ready. Will I have a problem starting a reef tank if my tank is not reef ready? What is the benefit of having a reef ready tank?

MikeyZO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
The benefit is the ease of setting it up. Non reef ready tanks can be used just as well. You can either have the tank drilled for the proper drains and returns (I've never done this, I'm sure other reefers will explain how to drill), or in the event that your tank is tempered glass and cannot be drilled, you can buy whats called an external overflow box which uses a siphon effect to drain water out of your tank to your sump.

Either way, you will be fine :) Welcome to the hobby and to MR!

boardryder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My tank is not RR and I haven't had any problems and don't forsee any problems with the way I have things set up. I would think however that a RR tank is the way to go as far as simplicity, simplicity of maintenance, and safety.

Just working through all the scenarios RR is the way to go.

bueller

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have a 90 gal RR and i love it, more water...ect. but I also have a few not reef ready with much success. plus I would feel alot better when I go on vacation with a not RR tank..all the water is totally contained. so I tend to think my next set up will be a not RR...just my opinion

Bueller

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
although a RR tank has its advantages, so does a non-RR tank.

one huge advantage of the RR tank is the sump option, basically you can have a 10 gallon tank and a 200 gallon sump ( a little strange but just making a point). most people use a sump to house other equipment so that the tank is not cluttered with heaters, phosban reactors, ph meters etc..
but as bueller stated the RR tank also has is problems ( may leak).

cathym1078 patience is a virtue with when starting a tank:snail: , so go with the tank you have it's a good choice. by the way it's about the software not the hardware. here's a pic of some software once you get the tank running.

Attachments

• IMG_0542.JPG
    IMG_0542.JPG
    221.6 KB · Views: 553

JJSBLM

Crazy Pico guy
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
you can use a over flow box/wet dry combo, or you could use a canister filter (fx5 iirc)
fluval-fx5.jpg

tho checkin on the price it would be cheaper to run a wet dry.

check out the fs section, lots of good deal around here

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: