Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend just took down her 30gal FOWLR tank. She said all of her fish died suddenly one night and just gave up. The tank was up for 3 months the rock is the BRS eco. Its green. She didn't pre-cure it. I took the rock and sand. I wanna put it my reef tank and sump. Should I let it dry out? Should I cure it. What do I do with the sand? Also I don't know what killed her fish. I checked the levels of the tank and they were in check. The fish were all on the bottom of the tank Gasping for air.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
A friend just took down her 30gal FOWLR tank. She said all of her fish died suddenly one night and just gave up. The tank was up for 3 months the rock is the BRS eco. Its green. She didn't pre-cure it. I took the rock and sand. I wanna put it my reef tank and sump. Should I let it dry out? Should I cure it. What do I do with the sand? Also I don't know what killed her fish. I checked the levels of the tank and they were in check. The fish were all on the bottom of the tank Gasping for air.

Not knowing what caused the death of all of her fish, I would pitch the sand. Old used sand can often bring headaches you don't need. Aside from disease it could be loaded with phosphates, you are better off replacing it.

Since you already have a running reef, I would cure the rock in a different container and let it sit in there for the next 8 weeks before using it to be on the safe side in the event that her tank had ich in it.

Raul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
80   0   0
+1
Not knowing what caused the death of all of her fish, I would pitch the sand. Old used sand can often bring headaches you don't need. Aside from disease it could be loaded with phosphates, you are better off replacing it.

Since you already have a running reef, I would cure the rock in a different container and let it sit in there for the next 8 weeks before using it to be on the safe side in the event that her tank had ich in it.

The sand isnt worth it. You can rinse it if you want but that is a headache.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
than for the help. What would be the best way to cure the rock. I got a bin, heater, powerhead and an airstone. Can I get a way with using de-chlor. tap? My r/o is waiting on a filter. What about the green covering the rock will that go away? Do i need a light on the curing rock? Should i seed it?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: