d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Hi folks, new to the forum and loving the info.

I am setting up a 65 gallon. Not my first tank, over the years I ended up with a 180g tank but could never master keeping corals, I dont have the luxury of saying that I had the same coral for years and years, fish sure but not even in a 180 gallon tank could I keep a powder blue tang alive. Only hardy fish, large angels, clowns and so on, those lasted for yearssssss...

I have a few questions, hoping somone can provide their welcomed and valued feedback.

1-I want to finally have water quality to brag about. Besides live rock and the bioball sump and RO water and the coil reactor that I have I intend on adding 2 DIY reactors with phosphate media and nitrate control pellets. Will this work?
As a back up I have the plans for a DIY sulfur reactor

2-this time I dont want 4 messy power strips, i would like to add electrical outlets inside the stand. QUESTION: is there rust proof electrical material? is outlets in the stand a good idea? or scratch it off the list?

3-I drilled the tank and installed a bulkhead with a strainer. Now I am thinking that the strainer will be toooo noisy and I should probably glue a sort of pre-filter box inside the tank so that the water goes inside the little box first. QUESTION-will this muffle the cascading water noise or dont bother?

Details:
*Tank is 65 gallons, wodden stand, building canopy this weekend.
*wet dry sump, 1200gph pond master to feed tank and reactors and anything else
*Turboflotor 1000 skimmer
*I have UV light, huge one but I dont know if I am going to install it, I did not see a diff in years past
*I still have 150 pounds of live rock, well, its now dead but I know how to bring it back to life and I just purchased 50 pounds for $50 live rock from a running tank and will be picking it up this weekend.
*Lights will be HO power compacts. I purchased two retrofit kits on ebay, 4 x96 watts, not sure if these will be what I install bc the seller lied to me and I am in dispute, seller said all bulbs worked and 3 bulbs are bad and each one costs $50 bucks to replace so its in Ebay's hands, should know their decision later this week but nonetheless lights will be power compacts and I aim to have at least 5 watts per gallon.
*tank will have a 20 gallon top off source because I dont want to live thru constant water prep and my wife hated that part BUT I am not automating the top off, instead it will have a pump sitting in there and I will plug as needed, the top off reservoir will be underneath a piece of furniture that will match the stand and will look like it was meant to be next to the tank to put keys or mail.

So if anyone can help me out with current 3 uncertainties I would greatly greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
1-I want to finally have water quality to brag about. Besides live rock and the bioball sump

2-this time I dont want 4 messy power strips, i would like to add electrical outlets inside the stand. QUESTION: is there rust proof electrical material? is outlets in the stand a good idea? or scratch it off the list?

3-I drilled the tank and installed a bulkhead with a strainer. Now I am thinking that the strainer will be toooo noisy and I should probably glue a sort of pre-filter box inside the tank so that the water goes inside the little box first.

*Lights will be HO power compacts. I purchased two retrofit kits on ebay, 4 x96 watts,
1. IMO don't even think about bioballs! extra LR in sump should be enough
2. power strips in stand are fine...label all plugs to quickly identify them...have all electric go thru a GFI
3.if strainer get clogged with something, where will water go? probably less chance of that happening with an overflow box....

* T5 would probably be a much better choice over power compacts

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Hi, thanks for your input.

The power strips inside the stand is what I would like to avoid, I want install actual fixed outlets inside the stand but I think I you just helped me answer that question, my power strips rusted on the outside but never shorted or stopped working, same should happen with the outlets.

as for the strainer, its a commonly used 1" strainer, common in commercial setups and never really clog, just concerned about the noise factor.

Anyfeed back on the reactors.nitrates and phosphates control, from anyone?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: