DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I collected a bunch of shells while scuba diving and i would like to add a few to my reef tank. A friend added shells to his tank many years ago and all of his fish died. I've heard that if i was to boil them before i put them in the tank it would be ok. Does anybody have any experience with this? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance... Happy Thanksgiving!! :chefico:

Mr. Softy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Thats the way i have always done it.
conch_shell_2.jpg

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Whenever I go to florida or the bahamas, I bring back dry beach sand from the hotel and dead rock from along the highway going down to the keys. I mean a full suitcase of the stuff, since it's free. I stick everything into my tank. Never had a problem. I guess the shell your friend had must have been contaminated with some chemical? pesticides or fertilizer? Something not from the ocean, but from lying around on the ground.

ocholoco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99%
96   1   0
hey

This past summer I went to a beach in NJ and picked up a bunch of shells and put them directly into the tank and nothing Happen. I also discover that if you glue zoas to the shell they grow quicker, Maybe because the shell is calcium base.

Mr. Softy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I should have stated this in my earlier reply. Don't use any shells that have been collected near a boat marina. Even if you collect them from the ocean, there is no guarantee that it is safe. I guess i have been lucky for the past 9 years, but i do try to take some precautions.

johnmaloney

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
This past summer I went to a beach in NJ and picked up a bunch of shells and put them directly into the tank and nothing Happen. I also discover that if you glue zoas to the shell they grow quicker, Maybe because the shell is calcium base.

oh so it is you who keeps doing that? tourists love to take away things we don't nail down. I am taking a billboard next time I am in The City, we do sand and beach, y'all do advertising. Only fair.

:lol2:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: