Ef3s

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have a skimmer (Aqua C Remora) that works by spraying water through other water creating bubbles.

Does this remove the need for surface agitation to add oxygen to the water?

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have an overflow box? if so, the overflow removes any film floating on top of the water restricting oxygen exchange. if your tank is topless, even better. i don't think i have any added surface agitation(no powerheads facing upward or anything like that), and my tank is fine. i really think that overall current in the tank and the skimmer is enough. [/i]

Ef3s

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH REALLY! I had always assumed that the reason surface agitation added oxygen was becuase of the bubbles not becuase of film on the surface!

Learned something new today!

I don't have an overflow box... just a mechanical filter that had rising/falling water in it to change currents and add bacteria to a sponge. I took all that stuff out and have a steady current instead of falling/rising.
Took out all the floss/carbon week ago....just an empty filter for flow....

I think I'm just going to take it off completely and add a power head now....

Thanks!

Chris2500dk

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surface agitation helps the water oxygenate because an agitated surface gives you a much much greater area of water/air contact than a flat surface.

The protein film that builds up on the surface lessens the oxygenation and doesn't look very nice either, an overflow solves that problem,.

As long as you run a skimmer you won't need surface agitation for oxygenation, but you'll still get the protein buildup unless you have an overflow or something else to take care of that problem.

FinalPhaze987

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we run a wavy sea wave maker on ours which gives us tons of surface agitation...it also increases evaporation as well...

brandonberry

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do have surface agitation, do it without causing bubbles. I like to see currents flowing at the surface of my tank, but if bubbles of any size are forming and popping you will get lots of salt builup on lights, the edges of the tank, and really anything within about a foot of the tank. Get rid of the bubbles and you'll get rid of salt creep.

IslandCrow

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you don't have an oily film on the surface of the water, the water does have a natural surface tension layer that will limit gas exchange somewhat. Although surface agitation is not necessary for gas exchange, it will help by breaking that surface tension layer.

Basically, circulation is always a good thing, so get as much of it as you can. A skimmer alone is probably fine to keep everything alive and most things healthy, but more is generally better in this case.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: