ReeferMadness99

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hello,

I'm running a 20x20x20 34 gal. (though I suspect its much less) Current Solana. I just started the system and am on day 3 of curing and cycling my live rocks (fiji & tongan). My protein skimmer has not collected anything up until now. I've never used one, and don't know what to look for. It seems like the foam doesn't travel up into the collection box. I'm not sure if there just isn't enough waste matter built up yet, or if its not working properly. Any suggestions? Thanks!

ReeferMadness99

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've read on many forums and curing directions that running a protein skimmer during the curing process is good because it lessens the amount of water changes you should do. It says that the protein skimmer will run on overdrive filling itself up very quickly. Thats why I'm a little perplexed.

ReeferMadness99

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Well, I got the live rock 4 days ago. I started to cure it in a rubbermaid and that was going great, tons of ammonia, yellow stinky water. Then I decided that I would continue the curing in my tank because it was new and empty. After I switched it over, I did the stupid mistake of accidentally adding pure water instead of salt water (didn't label my buckets). After 5 hours, I looked and most of the purple and green were gone leaving grey rock. I kinda freaked out because the SG was at 1.014 and I thought I just destroyed everything. After I raised the SG to 1.021, some people told me that it would be okay, just a little longer to cure now. Now its been 24 hours since that mishap and I'm still wondering if I messed it all up, or if the protein skimmers not working, or if I just have to wait longer to see something happen.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: