spacenyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
new to salt after many years of fresh so i have loads of lights. question is what do i do with them? Currently running 4 tanks, 30 with simple damsels and lots of invertebrates, 40 with frog spawn, zoas, and some unknowns, 40 with a trigger and clowns, and a 120 that will have aggressive fish, lions, puffers, etc. all have live rock. my basic question is: do my old t-8 and t-12 fixtures have any use anymore. I went to a lfs to buy new bulbs for my compacts and got a great deal on t-5, so should i use my compacts or stick with t-5. should i use a combo of these fixtures? all advice appreciated, Steve

spacenyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Almost had it

Thanks Ming, was just beginning to think i understood it and now i have to research a whole bunch of new terms. sometimes ignorance is bliss. but back to main question; should i get rid of my t-8, t-12 and pc fixtures or do they still have use. thanks to all who replied and thanks to all in advance who will reply. steve

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
it really depends on your definition of "losing color"
my sps colors lighten up in T5's compared to people's sps darkening in MH
Heres my tank with 6 overdriven T5's with individual reflectors. Most corals in my tank has been grown from small 1-2" frags, and they're actually larger now
7-11-08.jpg

Solace Aquatics LLC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Nice stuff Ming!

All the corals in my grow out/holding system are under T5's (SPS dominant)

I don't recommend anything other than zoas and leather under PCs.

VHOs - LPS, Softies, and Zoas.

MH's anything.. for the most part.

Phyl

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PCs don't hold their color spectrum very well. And once they go the cyano starts. I hate my PCs and am looking to switch over to T5s on that tank.

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
WOW!!! Ming. That Tank Is The Sh**

it really depends on your definition of "losing color"
my sps colors lighten up in T5's compared to people's sps darkening in MH
Heres my tank with 6 overdriven T5's with individual reflectors. Most corals in my tank has been grown from small 1-2" frags, and they're actually larger now
7-11-08.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: