Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use the testing drops from my freshwater kit for ph and ammonia ONLY on my reef tank? The drops, test cards and instrcutions are EXACTLY the same for the ph and i have a saltwater color card for the ammonia.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Yes & No

Are these API Kits?

The pH kit for FW is too low to be used for a SW tank. You need a 'High Range' pH kit to test SW.

For the Ammonia kit - you can test either SW or FW with it, but there should be 2 different 'cards' in there for reading the results. You'd need to have the SW card to get an accurate reading.
(I see you have the SW card, but wanted to mention it for others that might read this :))

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There can be real issue when using such test kits in seawater, as the high "salt " in seawater produces errors. That is why there are often FW and SW test kits. Some kits can have as much as a 0.5 pH error. For seawater API is using metacresol purple which is correct. However, the Instant Ocean and Kordon pH kits for seawater are the best.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Downloads.html

phlowhighrange2.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: