stlblufan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ~6mo old 20g with LR, two clowns, a zoa colony and a torch. It's sort of a long story, but the quick version is that when I ordered my CUC, I was sent the wrong shipment. In my excitement to put the first (intentionally placed) inhabitant in the tank, I dumped in a bagful of snails only to realize that I had just dropped in like 50 snails, rather than the dozen or so I had ordered.

Snails include Virgin Nerite, Dwarf Cerith, Florida Cerith, and Nassarius Vibex.

I took out a bunch of them, and once I got my correct order (different types) and put them in, I figured all would be well. As it turns out, a bunch of the original batch were sand shifters and as a result I didn't remove as many of them as I thought. Soooo....now I have probably 35 snails in my 20g tank. Most are small, and they don't really bother me, but do they affect the bioload on the tank (my readings are and have been excellent)? Is this too many snails? Should I care?

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
They just don't add much to the bio load. The only problem is will they have enough 'food' to servive. I would not worry about it because as you say they are really small for the most part.

D

DA fisherman

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
That's a good question .....cause since I added 2 turbo snails, 15 small snails ...I always see alot of poop around them now my sand bed looks more like it has mice crap all over it..

Do they add alot of bio-load ????

Aren't they suppose to help clean the tank??

Sent from MR. Fix your fins or get your fins fix :)

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It's not a problem although the population may decline if there is not enough food for all of your CUC.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
That's a good question .....cause since I added 2 turbo snails, 15 small snails ...I always see alot of poop around them now my sand bed looks more like it has mice crap all over it..

Do they add alot of bio-load ????

Aren't they suppose to help clean the tank??

Sent from MR. Fix your fins or get your fins fix :)
Yes they do add to your bio-load. Anything in your tank that is alive will add to it. Although it might not be as much as a fish would amount to. But if you have 200 snails living in any tank and 30 hermits, they will certainly add to a bio-load of a 75. Probrably the equivelent of 2 small fish.

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I have about 10 Nassarius and 10 hermits, everytime I try adding 2 or 3 large turbos they die within a couple of days. Levels are good... could it be lack of food? I keep my glass pretty clear of algae. Maybe I'm acclimating them wrong or something?

Either not enough algae/detritus to eat or the hermits are killing them for the shells, that's what my hermits did to some of my snails.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Either not enough algae/detritus to eat or the hermits are killing them for the shells, that's what my hermits did to some of my snails.

It's not the hermits... the turbos will climb up the glass and little then eventually die and fall off..

I have plenty of green stuff on my sand and algae on the back walls. What else would they need to eat?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: