grundig5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Absolutely!! You have to be very careful with GFO, its power is underrated. If you strip your tank of PO4 it can and will destroy sensitive corals. Acros are very sensitive to overusing GFO. I would recommend starting out with 1/4 to 1/2 the dose and working up from there. You really have to stop yourself from the temptation to overload your reactor.

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Doh! I put in 300G on my 12G nano. I think that's like 25X dose :(
My pH dropped a little, I just buffered it back up. Tonight I'll pull some GFO out..

How about for cooking rock. Can I over do it with cooking?

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I like my rock rare, not too well done. Technically if you have no other inputs to the system, the bacteria will all eventually die off. But i'm really not sure how long that'll take, might be years.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
GFO a good read.

what size reactor are you talking about?
I used to run 2 two little fishies reactors each filled 2/3 with gfo.
there is no way the gfo we buy will strip the water of every trace of po4.
it's being produced every day through feeding and waste from fish and animals in
our tanks. you want to be careful in changing the level of the po4 too quickly.
that might effect the coral adversely. but once you have the bulk of the po4 removed run as much of it as you feel necessary to keep the levels as low as possible.

Last edited:

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I have a Next Reef MR1. Does the 2/3 rule still apply? At 1/8th full w/ a MJ-606 I don't get much tumbling..

NX1111-2T.jpg

Malibu361

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Keith, I have the same reactor and running Rowaphos with a mj 404 I have mine filled with about 2 inches of the stuff now I dont know if that is too little but i have had no PO4 problem at all ...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: