Ssdlm5

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a 55 gallon tank and a 36 bow front tank both running thru a same system (30 gallon sump) I was thinking of getting rid of the 50 gallon and upgrading to a 90.

I also have 100lbs of LR that has been sitting in a garbage pale with water, heater and power head. I also have around 50lbs of sand (dead/dry) . i'm planning wash out the sand completly with R/o water and dry it out in the sun.

Now my question is, If i get a bigger sump and put all those rocks in and put the dry sand, will my corals and fish die or go through stress or shock the tank? Will it cycle again? And will the rocks in the garbage pale be no good for the tank because it is mixing in with all my existing rocks?

please help me guys.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Now my question is, If i get a bigger sump and put all those rocks in and put the dry sand, will my corals and fish die or go through stress or shock the tank? Will it cycle again? And will the rocks in the garbage pale be no good for the tank because it is mixing in with all my existing rocks?

please help me guys.

How long has the 100lbs of rock been in the garbage pail and what are the parameters?

Why are you planning to change the sump? A 30g sump is fine for a 90g tank.
No need to dry the sand out in the sun if you wash it out with ro water.

How many fish & what types are they?
How long has the system with the 55/36 and sump been running?

Any chance you can put all of the fish into one of the tanks (55 would be better), remove the sump from that system and put up your new 90 with the 30 g sump in another location, allow it to go through the expected minor cycle and THEN move your fish into it? :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: