Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I've searched, with no luck.

I was looking at getting some live sand, used, from another MR member.

Since this is for a new tank, I'd like to clean the sand. Am I looking for trouble? Is there a process I should follow for cleaning the sand?

I have no problem with cycling the sand, I just don't want any long term headaches...

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i'd pass on the sand and start over fresh with new bagged sand.

The rock i'd keep in a bin with no light hooked up to a phosban reactor to agressive remove whatever phosphates may or may not be in the rock.

When buying "used" rock from another hobbyist you never know how well they kept up w/ the husbandry. Pull all the phosphates out from the beginning and it will save you alot of headaches with algal blooms, etc.

18oreefer

+270
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
i put used live sand in my system when i was first starting up and i didnt have any problems. i just rinsed it out with some seawater and a strainer to get the majority of the detritus out. you shouldent have any problems. good luck

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
If you are seeding your tank with a cup of live sand from someone elses tank you should be fine but if you are re-using someone else's entire sand bed you should with rinse that sand thoroughly which will render it dead. Sorry but that is the safest way. There are plenty of threads here of people who didn't take this advice and their tanks exploded a short time after they didn't heed advice like this. But if you like to gamble.....................

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: