Staaan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hey all..

So I've recently started having some trouble with diatom. Its progressive got worse and worse over the course of the week.

Does diatom come in a hairy variety? Because it looks .. well... hairy lol.

So.. how do I battle this?

I was told to get..

1 powerhead
snails (not sure which kind and how many I should get)
water changes (not sure how many to do in what course of time)

Anything else I can do?
Anything else I should be worried about?

Thanks for all the help

Here is the link to the video of my tank.. I posted it up in HD, so if you have a hard time making out any of the "hair" or textures, just click on the 720p drop down menu..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G4aqSIaSr8

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
How long u have this tank running, need to know what are your water readings it looks like its going trough a cycle
Same questions -when was it set up - tank size & what your set up is like - all of the water pararmeters you have.

Looks normal for a cycle but as mentioned , you shouldn't have coral in there quite yet.

Staaan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Nope, my 24 was set up with tap water. Thats why I'm kinda confused about why this tank (which was set up with RO/DI water) is suffering from such diatom. I guess I left the lights on too long, and it didnt quite fully cycle?

The tank cycled for about 2 weeks.

When I checked the water at that time..

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 20ppm

So I did a 1 gallon water change (its a 6 gallon nano cube, all stock specs no mods)

I tested my water yesterday...

Ammonia was somewhere between 0 - .25ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm

So I'm really confused... I thought my tank was done cycling judging by the tests.

Deff. feeling as a failure as a reefer right about now.. haha.

I was advised by a friend to shut off lights for a few days and transfer corals into my other tank. The other tank is a 24g Aquapod that was set up.. and SOMEWHAT diluted with RO water..

However there is a longhorn cowfish in there.. that does seem to be quite the grazer constantly on the hunt for food.

So I don't think transfering the corlals into my other tank is really an option because of the tap/ro mixed water, and the cowfish.

Is there anyway the corals could possibly tough it out without lights for a few days.. or is that really more a path to the demise of my newly acquired frags.

(The tank has been running with coral for about 11 or 12 days)

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
You need more snails. :) I suggest astraea and trochus snails and a good handful of ceriths if you can find them. (Ceriths will take care of diatoms on the sandbed, astraea and trochus wander all over the rocks and glass.)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: