Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
idk if you want to listen to a beginner but like i said above... 1 teaspoon of sugar in 125 gallons killed a few mushrooms and some other stuff. i only remember the mushrooms because i put the sugar in front of a koralia so it dissolves quick and then i just saw the mushrooms shrivel up and turn white.
+1 well said Randy. if i were you i would try the vodka since its a liquid it might mix with the water better because sugar did not work for me and i dont want to ever try to dose carbon again. im trying to get the tank established to have its own natural ecosystem to the point where all i need to do is water changes and then no dosing or anything like that.
I have been reading up on dosing as well and I am considering trying it myself. I was going to start a thread but I figured why not just add to this one. I see James says Vitamin C. Does anyone else feel it's the best method? I heard about the sugar as well as vinegar. Has anyone tried all of them or a few? What was your personal results?

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
ohh yea i didnt know about that part. the guy just said get a teaspoon of sugar and put it in to lower you nutrient levels.
The sugar probably burned them just like if you put salt directly on a coral it also burns them. This is why it is recommended to mix salt for 12 hours not only to bring up the ph but to make sure all salt is disolved.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
idk if you want to listen to a beginner but like i said above... 1 teaspoon of sugar in 125 gallons killed a few mushrooms and some other stuff. i only remember the mushrooms because i put the sugar in front of a koralia so it dissolves quick and then i just saw the mushrooms shrivel up and turn white.

You should listen to Randy. He is a well respected member of the reefing community worldwide. He is a published author in the reefing hobby.

bartmalave

"Starting Over"
Vendor
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
i have vodka doesed, and continue to do so my magic # is 1ml per 11 gal. i started dosing after trying everything out there. i will say it is the best thing i have ever tryed( i should had done it earlyer i would had saved me alot of head ache) every tank its different and u must find ur own level. if u research the subject it must have driven u crazy. in 8 months i have not had any problems what so ever with my tank . no slime, no ick, no fish have died, no coral died , i hade a problem with alk, but that was my own foult for not checking my levels besides that no problems . here is a pic of my tank as is right now. they say a picture says a thounsand words. well here are a few words on the matter

Attachments

• SAM_2767.jpg
    SAM_2767.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 79

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
ok, i have one of the threads in reguards to vodka somewhere on here, before i started the dosing i had read different stuff for almost 6 months before i started it. and when people would ask i was vague in giving info because it is very easy to have a problem if you dont follow diretions, i had great results and the purpose of use for me was because i keep my tanks pretty stocked and this allowed for heavier feeding for me

PHILYD1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
well i must say i am 1 week into vodka dosing and have reduced my nitrates alot.. my skimmer is skimming stuff i have never seen it skim before.. it is removing alot more wet skim then ever before.. so as of right now am very happy with it. hopefully the results will continue..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: