SaltwaterKitty

24g Aquapod Nano
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Hey all ... I have a fairly new (yet re-established tank from the previous owner) and I noticed that there are stringy spider-web like things that come out of these super small tubes that are attached to the rock. They are SO annoying ... I scoop them out in the morning and they are back at the end of the day ... I've even snapped off the tube like thing they come out of and they still come back.

What the heck is it? I could try to get a pic but i'm not sure how it will come out ...

thank you!
kat

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Hey all ... I have a fairly new (yet re-established tank from the previous owner) and I noticed that there are stringy spider-web like things that come out of these super small tubes that are attached to the rock. They are SO annoying ... I scoop them out in the morning and they are back at the end of the day ... I've even snapped off the tube like thing they come out of and they still come back.

What the heck is it? I could try to get a pic but i'm not sure how it will come out ...

thank you!
kat

It sounds like ... vermetid? Vermestid? Worms. They let out a long goober of mucous to catch floating food particles, and then reel it back in. (They're actually a kind of snail, too.)

They're harmless, if somewhat unsightly. If you want to kill 'em, get an insulin syringe, fill it up with saturated kalkwasser (not paste, it probably won't go through the needle,) and inject it into the tubes. Do as much damage as you can with the needle, too, while you're doing it. :)

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
+1 vermetid snail i had them to its a good thing.. they dont harm anything.

They -can- cause irritation to various corals if their mucous strands continuously keep them annoyed and closed up. But I think you have to have a pretty heavy infestation or very small frag sizes for this to be a real problem. :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: