[FONT=&quot]Thanks,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dennis Tagrin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]DT's Plankton Farm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-------- Original Message --------
Subject: live marine phyto
Date: Fri, February 13, 2009 2:01 pm
To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I left the live marine out overnight near my tank (ie. Not in the fridge)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Bottle is about half full.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Is it toast?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]-Michael[/FONT]

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Frankly, I'd be writing back and asking just what that means. Some?? - how much?
Does he means some of the phyoto might be dead and you'd be adding dead bacteria to your tank? Ask him what the consequences of adding it to your tank now might be.

MikeyZO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
that sounds more like "its not dead, but not as nutritious"

What the hell that is supposed to mean is beyond me. Maybe its like a fine red wine, but instead of it getting better with air DTs gets worse. LOL

Besides, how does leaving it out overnight make something lose nutrition?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
You can't go by smell because the food they add to the bottles to sustain the phyto contains sulfur, according to Dennis. I had to call him about a year and a half ago about an order they screwed up and we go it warm. Dennis is a pain to deal with on the phone, along the lines of "why are you bothering me with this insignificant crap? I have better things to do with my time. This is probably your screw up anyway." kind of tone from him. Personally, his product is good but you can get the same stuff if not better at a far more reasonable price from Reef Nutrition and they are a pleasure to deal with. That's not a plug just a friendly tip.
Dennis ... PITA... or Randy... really nice guy.
Plus Reef Nutrition has a broader product line for feeding just about anything.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
with a fresh bottle of DT's, it should smell very neutral.
If it starts to smell bad, then some of the algae has died.
Like wschang said, the higher the temp, the higher the metabolism. Algae is a living thing too and without circulation for their respiratory system and nutrients in the bottle, it will die off faster at a higher temp. When you start adding dead phyto into the tank, the nice way to put it is that they have lost some of its nutritional value. The more blunt way is that you're adding ammonia to your tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: