Jay Willis

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have seen alot about hiow You really need to chose either reef of fish for Your tank, but I also see alot of reef srtups with a few reef safe fish swimming around.

I have a few nano systems, and have alot of fun with them, but Someone just gave Me a 225 (i think) gallon tank that My wife want to set up. We made a trip down to the local fish store to ask a few questions about filters, and they told Us We could build a "trickle filter" on the cheep, and Be good to go, but this is where I get lost.

I have heard the this type of filter is not the best for reef setups, because the the live rock and sand will do the work, but others say that with the filter I can add fish without overloading the system, but is in not a two way street?lol (too much makes too little, and too little makes too much)

The other thing I see it that what You put in the filter can change how much rork it does. So LR would would house less bactera than sand in the filter, correct? Then what kind in media shiould I use in My type of setup?

Oh, and if You say that one of these filter systems is not for Me, then what is best? and sence the tank already came with holes drilled in it (2 smaller and one larger?) is there a good way to seal them up?

Thanks for The help guys and gals!

Jay Willis

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I guess Everyone it tired of all the noobs around here...

That's ok, I have done My share of avoiding what seems like an easy question on other forums, but it looks Like I may need to find another fiorum for My simple questiond before I return here...

Anyone know of a good starter forum atleast?

Lars

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, There are many ways to set up a tank and you will find throughout this whole forum many different ideas and solutions. Try a search or look at the tank specs page. I personally have a 125 mixed reef (fish and corals) with LR/DSB, no sump, VHO. I would however avoid the 'trickle' filter and just start with sand and LR. Don't give up on us yet :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank drilled?

You will want a skimmer at the minimum.

That being said:

Skimmer + Lotsa Rock + good circulation = potentially awesome tank!

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think you might want to convert to a reef in the future it probably makes more sense to start out with live rock/sand + skimmer configuration and skip the wet/dry. If you stick to stocking with reef safe fish, all you would need to do in the future is upgrade your lighting and start adding corals. Personally, this is the option I prefer - even for fish-only setups.

For a tank that size, going with all live rock can be pricey so you might want to look into some of the dry rock products from places like http://www.marcorocks.com/ or http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ . You can use the dry rock for your base and add some nice pieces of live rock to top it off. Over time it will all look (and function) the same...

Here's a basic guide that might give you some more info. IMO the emphasis on deep sand beds is a bit dated, but still lots of good info...
http://www.reefs.org/library/newbieguide.html

kgross

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Chris.

If you are planning on a reef, you need live rock, live sand lots of water movement and a good protein skimmer. No other filters are needed, but it can be nice to have a phosphate media and carbon media filter.

Kim

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also agree with Chris. This is a must. When I was starting out I was looking for alternatives. I'm glad I didn't cut any corners. You'll pay for it in the long run and it won't be cheep!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: