pmark85

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Just finished my 4th week of cycling which had a raw shrimp the first 2 weeks. Here are my parameters: pH 8.0, nitrate 10, nitrite 0, phos 0.48, Mg 1320, Calc 1320 and Alk is 2.74. Seems like the cycle is about to be completed. As the title states, when should I turn on the skimmer? I'm assuming once I turn it on the nitrate should go down even further.

LatinP

Look at my bare bottom!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My skimmer stays on 24/7, matter of a fact I believe my skimmer was on before I even added salt to the tank the first day. No harm can come from skimming during a cycle as previously said. As far as adjustments just tune it so the bubbles go up half way into the inner cup tube and keep an eye on it. Since you're in that new skimmer break in period some later adjustments will need to be made, but don't worry about it for now just keep an eye on the skimmer.

pmark85

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
The skimmer compartment is 9.5" high and the skimmer pump is resting on the bottom of the sump. Do I need to raise the skimmer if its already producing skimmate?

bizzarro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower produce more wet skimmate and raising it higher you'd get drier skimmate and less of it.

You can adjust as you go and find the balance between too wet and too dry.

pmark85

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Why does raising it produce drier skimmate? Wouldn't opening or closing the gate valve contribute to that more?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: