Mario

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.
Over the lat six months, I have had a chronic problem with low pH of 7.8 and lower. (I finanly got a pH Probe and calibrate same every two weeks).
I add B-Ionic Alkalinity.

The pH rises to 8.2 after I add the soltion - usually 5ml or so, then drops to 7.7 or so the next day. I repeat the procedure every day and its getting tirning.....why the large swings? Does anyone know and offer advice?

I have the tank for over 5 years now with a 4 inch sand bed. Mg is at normal levels.

What is going on? Buffer?

Regards

Mario

Mario

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium levels at 395mg/dl
I dont test but use the American Monitor Probe wich continuoulsy monitors the levels. Yes I have a fuge with a skimmer and chaeto.

Do you also use a buffer in addition to the B-Ionic 2 part?

wheres your cal level at?
when do you test?
do you have a fuge?

A good Way to keep PH up drip kalk

Last edited:

Mario

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is 395mg/dl low? wow....
My alkalinity is 3.5meq/dl using the SeaTest Kit.
Oh I have 11 clams, some softies, an oyster, two monesteria (brain), three open brain.
Its a 26 gallon tank

You cal is very low, should be about 400. What is your alk level? Also what do you have in the tank, coral wise?

Read the info on these 2 links, they will explain Cal, Alk and Ph and solutions to the problems that you have.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/june2002/chem.htm

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Is 395mg/dl low? wow....
Well that's not what you originally posted. 395 is fine.

My alkalinity is 3.5meq/dl using the SeaTest Kit.
Oh I have 11 clams, some softies, an oyster, two monesteria (brain), three open brain.
Its a 26 gallon tank

From the picture of your tank I can't tell if you have 11 clams but they would have to be small ones, less than 3". Your alk level looks fine but if you do have all those clams they're most likely using up the alk and calcium, especially in such a small tank.

Mario

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I posted, then edited a while back. sorry

Yeah there are 11, but I cant get the picture from the top to include all 11 at one time.
So should I give away/see some because I lost a fungia and two clams probably because of this drop in pH call the time

Well that's not what you originally posted. 395 is fine.

From the picture of your tank I can't tell if you have 11 clams but they would have to be small ones, less than 3". Your alk level looks fine but if you do have all those clams they're most likely using up the alk and calcium, especially in such a small tank.

Attachments

• PA08000311test.jpg
    PA08000311test.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 143

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I would cut back on the clams as the tank isn't that large and they using a lot of alk and cal. They will use even more as they grow and get larger, space will also be a problem, so you probably should get rid of some.

Because of what you have in the tank you're going to need to dose more B-Ionic 2 part daily. Get you Alk, Calk and Mg, levels up to the correct levels and then dose enough B-Ionic 2 part every day to keep them at that level. You may also want to get a doser so you dose the same amount every day.

Mario

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah man, thats what I am ending up doing...and its getting old!! I never realized 11 clams would take up that much of alk/ca......(

I would cut back on the clams as the tank isn't that large and they using a lot of alk and cal. They will use even more as they grow and get larger, space will also be a problem, so you probably should get rid of some.

Because of what you have in the tank you're going to need to dose more B-Ionic 2 part daily. Get you Alk, Calk and Mg, levels up to the correct levels and then dose enough B-Ionic 2 part every day to keep them at that level. You may also want to get a doser so you dose the same amount every day.

Mario

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[Appears to be so yes....this situation has occured over the last 6 months...coinciding with the introduction of clams..;(
The tank has been in operation for 5 years now

quote=alrha;528620]do you have good aeration (gas exchange) in your tank? elevated CO2 levels could also lower you pH.[/quote]

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Zany you must have more water volume then described.. I'll have to give you more rocks, those might have to have bee too little... My rocks are holding the ph steady on a 1500+ gallon system right now going on 5 months...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: