ruha456

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Woke up this morning after yesterdays water change of five gallons on my 40 gallon tank and found my Crocea clam being eaten by my emerald crab and my hermit crabs. Can anyone please give some advice. Thanks

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I had the clam under the LEDs but put him under the T5s yesterday after the water change would that be a cause? Just wanna know so I can learn from this.

It could, but then again I had clams just crap out on me for no apparent reason, although I am sure there was a reason, I just never learned what it was.

One very important thing you have to know is that you MUST acclimate them to any new changes. Especially with lighting. Don't beat yourself up though, perhaps it was sick when you got it.

Make sure your tank is ready for clams, do some research on the type of clam you would like to keep.

ruha456

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
The clam was exposed to air when I found it under the live rock I had purchased. So it came as a throw in. I've had my tank for about two months have four chromis and two clowns with a frogspawn, hammer some mushrooms and 2 fan worms which are all healthy and nice and open with great color.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Being open for a whole week does not necessarily mean that it was fine. You MUST acclimate all animals to new settings.

When a clam gets exposed to air you need to burp it when placing it back in water.;) To burp the clam simply tap it on the shell as you put it in the water. Gentle tapping.;)

jdnumis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Thanks for the tip Awi

Being open for a whole week does not necessarily mean that it was fine. You MUST acclimate all animals to new settings.

When a clam gets exposed to air you need to burp it when placing it back in water.;) To burp the clam simply tap it on the shell as you put it in the water. Gentle tapping.;)

I was going to get a clam soon, and I didn't know to burp the clam.

Thank you,

~James

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: