mrjenks

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
so i have some xenia that was given to me by a good friend, when i picked it up from his tank it was pulsing like a heart beat very nice.
i have had the frag for a few months now but it isnt pulsing, it opens up everyday like a flower to light but no pulse. once and a while it opens and closes but it dosent create the beautiful effect i was hoping for.he also told me that xenia grows very fast, in my case i only see one extra stem grow other than that, nothing. no pulse no growth nothing...

does anyone have any ideas?

jcohen9999

Overkill Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
In my personal experience (meaning non-scientific) the health and activity of xenia is closely related to PH. The closer I had my PH to 8.2 the more pumping and growth I saw.

What's your PH?

andylee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Do you have a lot of water movement in tank? I have a few clusters of xenia in my tank. The ones where there is more water movement don't seem to pulse as much. I think it's because they don't need to.

Xenia likes water a little "dirty" or more nutrient filled, so sometimes it doesn't grow well in 0/0/0/0 water.

mrjenks

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
ok i do have a fair amount of water movement and i do try to keep my water 0/0/0/0 my ph is a little low because my kh is at 10-12 ppm and my salinity is at 124-125
once a week i do dose with stronium some calcium some iodine and i do my water changes every 2 weeks or so

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I have had Xenia for a little over two years. The pH is not a factor in my tank neither is dirty water for pulsing.
I believe it is due to flow and lighting.
Xenia do appear to spread faster in dirty water as from what the consensus says here. But I think the pulsing is more related to flow.
Try turning all your pumps off for a while, 30 mins, and see what happens?

mrjenks

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
i have a 65g rr set up with about 10 fish
for coral i have
xenia
hammers
frogspawn
purple lavia
red acans
mushrooms
kenya tree
assorted polyps
seabay anemone
and open brain

i was told if im consistent with water changes and dose small amounts
that the colors on my coral will stand out more

tentacles

cephalopod enthusiast
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
Personally, I would not bother dosing iodine or strontium in your case. A good salt mix will cover trace elements pretty well, and you don't have any corals that really need to much extra fuss. Are you testing your parameters for iodine and strontium?

mrjenks

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
i just moved the flow in my tank and right away i can see them starting to move
i may have to slow down my pump some. the rest of the tank is now like a tornado.

i havent checked my stronium levels but i do know my calcium is high i have white spots on the back glass

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Yeah, if your water parameters are correct, the flow is the biggest thing that keeps them from pulsing. When I turn off my pumps to feed the tank, the xenia looks beautiful and pulses like crazy, once I put the pumps back on, it stops pulsing and just sways in the current.

Rating - 100%
141   0   0
Yeah, if your water parameters are correct, the flow is the biggest thing that keeps them from pulsing. When I turn off my pumps to feed the tank, the xenia looks beautiful and pulses like crazy, once I put the pumps back on, it stops pulsing and just sways in the current.
+1.. in fact James was the 1 that gave me the xenias.. Lol... And I gave some 2 u..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: