Sump/Equipment design

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
So... I have been trying to redesign the layout and equipment in my sump.

I have a 40 breeder with a 20 tall tank as a sump. There is very little room. Here is what I currently have in the small amount of space outside of the sump:

2 Power supplies and controller for LED lights
2 Power strips hanging on inside wall of stand
Cables
1 Phosban reactor (it is sitting INSIDE the sump, but there is some room taken up)
Food, net, scrapper, etc.

Inside the sump I have the filter sock, phosban reactor, return pump, skimmer, skimmer pump, heater.

Here is my problem- I need some kind of "reactor" or small canister filter to run carbon.

I will also be adding my controller.

Any suggestions on a small reactor or canister filter for carbon? Do they make something only a few inches in size?

usctom

Manhattan Reefs
Rating - 100%
101   0   0
How about just putting the carbon in a bag in a high flow area. There are mini reactors with pump in the bottom that only take up a small space. I believe they are made by Innovative marine.

noelskii

MemBiZzLe.
Manhattan Reefs
Rating - 98.6%
73   1   0
How about just putting the carbon in a bag in a high flow area. There are mini reactors with pump in the bottom that only take up a small space. I believe they are made by Innovative marine.

I feel like this method is the biggest waste of $$...

Have you tried alternating between carbon and phosban? Or mixing them both in the same reactor?

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I feel like this method is the biggest waste of $$...

Have you tried alternating between carbon and phosban? Or mixing them both in the same reactor?
For the carbon it is best to force the water through, a reactor would not be as effective... I used to run it in a media bag sitting inside of my filter sock, but it is more effective if the water goes through the media. Also, tumbling carbon will break it up.

Burbarry

Manhattan Reefs
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the carbon it is best to force the water through, a reactor would not be as effective... I used to run it in a media bag sitting inside of my filter sock, but it is more effective if the water goes through the media. Also, tumbling carbon will break it up.

What about filling the reactor full and slowing it down to no tumble ?

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Manhattan Reefs
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
I did a phosban reactor hung on the outside. The only thing in the sump was the maxijet and the outlet. I turned the flow down to a slow vibration and it worked great.