• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Salty Dog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90.9%
20   2   0
Im getting out of control algea, its not hair its like mostly whitesh/gray and fluffy, then I have green fuzzy stuff, Its taken over my frag tank and now its creeping into my display. Will any live stock help to prevent this? Im lost

http://
Picture004-2.jpg

http://
Picture003-3.jpg

HHaase

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looks like the same stuff I've been fighting for way too long now. Turbo snails don't touch it, sea hare didn't work, manually removing huge amounts of it didn't work, GFO didn't work, RO/DI filter didn't help. Running through some algaefix marine right now, just did dose #4, not sure if it's helping or not. I also started running biopellets about two weeks ago, too early yet for them to have a real effect. I MAY be finally getting ahead of it, but not sure yet.

Attack it fierce and early, if it's the same as what I have, it can totally over-run a tank in no time at all.

I have two options left to me that I haven't tried yet. "Special Blend" seems to be highly recommended (and I'm told very very smelly), the other is I may try some red slime remover to see if it's a cyanobacteria instead of an actual algae. If those don't help, it's going to be a total teardown and replacement of all rock/sand.

-Hans

Salty Dog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90.9%
20   2   0
Thanks Hans,

I just cleaned out my whole frag tank, I scraped it all clean, sucked out all the water and floating algea, scrubed the frag rack clean, and then lighted scrubed the frags clean. Everything is back in and looking like a new tank. I think I figured out what happened. I had a few fish in this tank so we fed them every day, Maybe a little to much. Also this frag tank only has one return so I cut the flow down in the tank to a min. It does have a mxi jex to keep up current but the water in-out is slow. I think the over feeding and not enough turn over was the cause. I will cut feeding to once a week now that the tang is back in the display the only fish in there now is some mino's my kids brought home from the beach.

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I have two options left to me that I haven't tried yet. "Special Blend" seems to be highly recommended (and I'm told very very smelly), the other is I may try some red slime remover to see if it's a cyanobacteria instead of an actual algae. If those don't help, it's going to be a total teardown and replacement of all rock/sand.

-Hans

That is an understatement, but it does work well and won't harm anything in your tank. Make sure your family is out of the house before opening the bottle, no joke.

HHaase

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That is an understatement, but it does work well and won't harm anything in your tank. Make sure your family is out of the house before opening the bottle, no joke.

Yeah, that's the reason I may have to skip it and go straight to a teardown. The tank is in the main room of the house, and there's always somebody else home. I can get away with a lot, but a god-awful stench permeating the house is close to the top of no-no's.

-Hans

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
The smell dissipates and is at it's strongest when you open the bottle. I've used it and the smell only last's for about 1/2 hour. I would try it first before tearing down the tank.

nanchil

Crawling Reefer.
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
Yeah, that's the reason I may have to skip it and go straight to a teardown. The tank is in the main room of the house, and there's always somebody else home. I can get away with a lot, but a god-awful stench permeating the house is close to the top of no-no's.

-Hans

No it is not that bad... I am using it and my tank is in my living room.... It smells when you open...

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Whats your light cycle like? Types of lights used? How old are the bulbs?

Algaefix Marine worked for me on a hair algae problem a few months back and def worth a shot...did you take out any kind of chemical filtration? ie Carbon.

Salty Dog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90.9%
20   2   0
4-39w t5 on at 8:45am of at 9pm
4-59w t-12 on at 9:20 am of at 8:15 pm
4 - 250w xm 20k all come on at 11am - 7 pm

halides each go on at 15 min intervals and off the same way but reversed.

Lights are all new in november

Salty Dog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90.9%
20   2   0
low flow in frag tank caused this ,I couldnt turn the flow on to much cause it would overflo the tank. I just drilled another 1" bulkhead ito the tank and added a second drain. tank is clearing up fast. I hope the additional algea that started to grow in the display now goes away

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: