debbythefowler

bona-fide REEF NUT
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I did research and determined that the active ingredient in Interceptor is this Milbemycin Oxime (MO). I got a vet to write me prescriptions for it and now have about 20 vials of it each .25ml.

The interceptor spectrum large dog pills = 23 mg of MO, which I'm told should be dosed at 25mg (0.025 grams) per 10 gallons of actual tank water.

Anyone know how to convert the liquid MO into some appropriate dose per gallon???

Thanks!

debby

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can not convert until you know what the concentration is of the vials. Most ref on what you have are a 0.1% solution in 0 .25 ml for ear dosage.

A 0.1% solution

0.1 x 10,000 = 1000 mg / l or 1000 ml

Or a 0.1% solution means it contains 100 mg of something per 100 ml. They then take .25 ml of that 100 ml @ 100 mg.

You need to call the vet to see what the concentration is or visit your local pharmacy.

Last edited:

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, that is what your vet thinks. You need 100 vials to get 25 mg / 10 gal. I had a friend chemist check my math I edited out, where I was correct and though must be wrong and 1 vial is for 10 gal.

"Nope, you are right. They need 100 vials of 0.25 ml.
That wil make 100x0.25 ml= 25 ml. Which at 0.1% is 25 mg.

So 100 vials if their info is right and no math mistakes."

Edit: going to check one more time so hang on.

Same answer so that is 3 of us that say you need 100 vials :)

Last edited:

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
How does someone treat their tank then with interceptor? I could imagine having a tough time writing another prescription for 4x the amount? And that's for a 10g! What would one do in a 100gallon tank???

I've heard people refer to a pill and using half for a treatment. Either way, hope I never have to worry about it, GL debby.

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The real issue Inevo is the availability of the drug, where it was much easier to get a couple of years ago. This is due to the manufactures being shut down by the FDA for gross violations in manufacturing and health risks.

The real issue with the vials is they are for the eras of pets and not a pill the pet takes. You would never dump the same amount into the ear canal that you give orally.

Last edited:

debbythefowler

bona-fide REEF NUT
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I dosed yesterday with 2 tablets of Interceptor Spectrum (large doggie) and finally wiped out almost all of the bugs. Have to do it again in a few days....but I've seen the possibilty of successfully killing the buggers.....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: