• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
i was thinking of gluing magfloats to my seios. this would eliminate all those brackets and suctions cups and add a much cleaner look to the tank. besides it would make moving the seios much easier. anyone ever do this?

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Not specifically mag floats. But here is what I did.

Seio 820

mountingtomagnet.jpg

completedSieo.jpg

this was the magnet from Petco:

magnettype.jpg

Rich

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
cool this is exactly what i'm talking about. petco huh. i think that magnet works a lot better than a magfloat. do you mind tellingme how much for the magnet?

i think i'll try it then thanks

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I think the magnets were 12 bucks... maybe 15.

Someone on the board mentioned having a magnet rust in this magnet. I have been watching and haven't seen any issues as of yet. The magnet is encased by a layer of epoxy of some sort, so I don't foresee any issues. But, if you do it... keep an eye on them for any signs.

when I did this, I took the magnets and made some grroves on the cover side where I was securing the Seio mount. Then I used a 2 part epoxy to secure the seio mount to the magnet. I waited a little more then 24 hours for that to cure and then siliconed around the outside edge, so water wouldn't get to the epoxy. I wasn't sure if it would cause any issues, but didn't want to find out the hard way.

good luck!

Rich

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: