• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
electric saw is a little vague. Table saws or circular saws with fine tooth blades (I use the ones used for plywood) are good. I've used cohp saws for thinner cuts. I've heard jig saws work, but I've never tried. I think they can be a little rough and you may have a melt problem. Sawzall, no. NYPDFrogman seems to be the acrylic guy around here. Hit him with a PM.

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
if you are talking a table saw / circular saw... then 80 teeth or more is prefered.

Here is a site with a bunch of info on working with Arcylic:

http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

Definately worth a look at. You will get a lot of opinions, try different things and see what works best for you.

I personally I went to Home Depot and picked up the 80 tooth blade and it seems to work fine. Depending on what you are making you are going to want cleaner edges... then you need to do a bit more work.

Good luck.

Rich

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
i just wanna trim out a piece 4 by 6 inch from a larger piece to silicon to a part of my glass sump. i dont have a circular saw. just a handheld one with fine teeth. i dont need very smooth cut since the edges will be siliconed anyway.
btw :how do i know if the acrylic is cast or extruded?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
you no that glass and acrylic dont really hold well... im just letting you no for ur sake so one day u dont have that piece floating off in ur sump..lolz.. if you gotta use both together with the silicone make sure u use alot of silicone to get it to stay... glass siliconed to glass is your best bet... you could prob. get that size at a glass store for about 10.00..... maybe even cheaper..

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
reefman said:
i just wanna trim out a piece 4 by 6 inch from a larger piece to silicon to a part of my glass sump. i dont have a circular saw. just a handheld one with fine teeth. i dont need very smooth cut since the edges will be siliconed anyway.
btw :how do i know if the acrylic is cast or extruded?

if your going to make a partition for a glass tank, go to a glass shop give them the size and have them cut it. you cannot silicone acyrlic to glass.
a 4X6 piece of glass should cost more than 5.00

difference between cast and extruded first price cast is more expensive, extruded will have transparent lines running through it as cast will be perfectly clear.
when extruded is manufactured it is forced through a mould createing the lines, cast is melted poured into a mold.
when you cut extruded it has a tendedncy to gum up around the kerf. cast is harder so it chips when when cut.

Last edited:

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
NYPDFrogman said:
pretty neat!
silicone definitly does not work

I was really skeptical at first when I saw the link someone on this board posted but I needed baffles temporarily until I get a "real" sump. So far its been working real good with no ill effects whatsoever.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: