• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
anyone have any insights/details on fragging with a dremel?
i hear it is a great way to frag stuff up, but i've never done it before.

which 'bit' do you use on the dremel?
how deep can the dremel me submerged in the tank?
:joke:
do you just place the coral on the counter and dremel away?
any precautions/dips to avoid infections?

again, any insights are appreciated. :thanks:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
I've fragged with a Dremel countless times. I would wear something to cover your mouth and nose from breathing in potential toxins that could get sprayed around. I'd also wear safety glasses so that any chips of rock or toxins also, don't get shot into your eyes.

I've used a few different bits. I'm now using what I consider to be the best of all the bits I've used. I've tried fiberglass cutoff wheels (they work, but not very safe or very efficient). I've used a small 1/16" drill bit and drilled numerous holes like a perforation, then snapped the frag on that perforation. Again, worked, but not my favorite.

Now I use a diamond encrusted cutoff wheel. BY FAR THE BEST, so far, lol. Till I find something better.

Dremeldiamondwheel.jpg

master

edit: BTW and FWIW, only submerge the Dremel if it is connected to a HIGH VOLTAGE outlet ......J/K

Disclaimer: I do not under any circumstance recommend submerging any electrical appliance. :eek1: :fishhit: :smash: :eek:

Last edited:

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
yikes, sounds more comlicated than i hoped for. my wife is just gonna love the toxins spraying around the kitchen...

do you have the bit number for that diamond item?

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
alrha said:
yikes, sounds more comlicated than i hoped for. my wife is just gonna love the toxins spraying around the kitchen...

do you have the bit number for that diamond item?

Shouldn't be as bad as you think with the toxins, but I don't know what you're fragging. Some are definitely worse than others. SPS are relatively harmless, IME. Get into some zoo's and you never know.

The part # is Dremel 545 Diamond Wheel

Hope this helps,
Russ

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Albert. It depends on what type of coral you're fragging.

If it's an SPS or LPS you can score the coral and then finish splitting it with a screwdriver or chisel.

To minimize the risk of infection, rinse the cut off in some tank water before you put the frag back into the tank. (throw the rinse water away)

Having the frags in a place with adequate flow will also help fight infection.

I do all my fragging outside so I don't have much to clean up.

B

inline6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I've had good experience using a clear bag with the coral inside - cuts down on the splatter. The splatter can really stink up your bathroom which is where I frag. Also I like to use a shallow Rubbermaid tray like container as a temp holding area. Ditto on the diamond blade.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: