• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

vanceny

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
In the process of upgrading from my 30 gal w/ 20 gal sump to a 90 gal with a 55 gal sump/refugium. After researching RC and here I came up with my design. As it is coming together I have made changes. I wanted to share some pics of my progress. This process has taken me over a month to complete and is still a work in progress. My original budget was about $1000 since I had most of the equipment from my 30gal. All I needed was a tank, build the stand, lighting and skimmer. The orignal tank was a 75gal that I got free but ended up shattering it while drilling. So I upgraded and got the 90gal used. I also got the Coralife super skimmer 125 for about $130. That left about $700 for everything else. Needless to say I've already blown my budget and I still don't have lights. I forgot to add costs for sand, glass, bulkheads, etc, etc, etc... :banghead:

Here is the tank and stand:

IMG_0435-1.jpg

The stand is made with 2x4 and sanded plywood. There are 3 posts on each corner and 1 center brace in the front and back. This is actually the second one that I made. The first was too tall for this part of the basement. The stain was honey pine. The tank I got from Aquatic creations. I drilled all the holes with a hole saw I bought from ebay. I painted the back of the tank using 2 colors, dark navy and royal blue. I did this to try and show depth. I like the way it turned out.

Here is the calfo overflow:
IMG_0416.jpg
IMG_0428.jpg
IMG_0430.jpg

I purchased glass from a place downtown and although its only 2 pieces the bottom and front, I've purchased in total. I broke the front once and then reorded with the wrong measurements. I finally have it right now. I used GE Silicone 1 door and window. Using different jigs I managed to set it pretty straight. Especially when I have the beer goggles on. :eek: I used 1 1/2" for the drain, there are 2 on each end. It will be driven by a Mag 7. I didn't want too much flow running into the sump. Each drain will empty into a separate chamber in the sump.

Closed loop and plumbing:

IMG_0422.jpg
IMG_0426.jpg

The loop will be run with a Mag 12. Both the return and drain are 1" and are connected in the back with a 'T'. All the plumbing will end up going through the little hole in the second pic into the next room where the sump/fuge will be. I connected the drain in the tank with a diy strainer that I cut slits the entire length. All pvc has been painted krylon fusion paint.

Last item, the sump:

IMG_0409.jpg

The skimmer will actually be in the left chamber but I have it in the refugium now just breaking in with some dead rock. The return area is in the middle. I actually made the baffles pretty tall but I figure with the overflow not much water will return into the sump when the pump is turned off. I will restrict the flow into the fuge with a ball valve so I can reduce the flow even more. The return plumbing will be 1" and then split up at the center brace of the tank with loc-line spraying into both sides of the tank.

That's all for now. Thanks for looking and post any comments. I still need to get lights and am leaning toward t-5's.

:groupflip

Vance

vanceny

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
scarf_ace1981 said:
can you get a closer pic of the stand alone? i'm in the process of building mine and just need some ideas.

Hope this helps:
IMG_0421.jpg

If you want a specific shot then it will have to wait till I get home tonight. LMK.

leoskee

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I havent read much on closed loops. What is the idea behind them besides recirculating the water? Do you run the pump 24/7 or on a timer?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: