• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

digitalreefer

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
As I consider my upgrade, I'm thinking about building a skimmer to handle it, so I can test it on my current tank. After doing some research, I've modified some plans for a venturi skimmer and would love to hear some opinions. This plan allows me to create a dual injection addition later if I need to. Here's the plan, let me know what you think.

Attachments

• skimmer.jpg
    skimmer.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 156

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
I'd definitely need to know what size tank you're intending to use this on. The size you've shown wouldn't handle much, IMO. I see it being about the same size as my CSS 65 (hang on tank and rated for 65 gallons).

swimmer

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
I agree with Frank and Jim. A wider reaction chamber would make it much more productive and efficient.

BTW, my CSS 65 although rated for 65g, I would not recommend it for anything more than about 30 gallons.

swimmer

digitalreefer

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Ok, so the general concensus seems to be a wider chamber.

Cali... I don't need the bypass on the venturi, but it will allow me to fine tune the pressure differential and allow full control over the water/air intake. If I put the venturi on the mainline I'm limited to the venturi's differential.

digitalreefer

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
A venturi works by creating a pressure differential between it's 2 sides and creates a suction which draws in air. The valve would allow me to fine tune the differential to get the most out of the differential, thus drawing more air than if it were on the main line.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
By bypassing pressure before the injector, all you achieve will be less than what the pump is design to do, waste of electricity. The differential pressure is produced within the venturi injector body, not by the fluctuation of the pressure into the injector.

Go ahead and experiment a little on it if you don't believe my experience with Bernoulli's Principle. Here is a good graphic illustration of the theory http://www.allstar.fiu.edu/aerojava/pic3-2.htm

Here are some formulas you can use to calculate your theory if you are good with math: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli's_principle

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: